Biocube 29 W/custom sump in stand

(Bio)³

Just got done reading your whole thread. I must say Good Job Sir! I have really been thinking about building a small sump just like what you did but on a smaller scale since I have a 14G. If i was to build or buy a sump i would most likely just buy a nano overflow to get it down to the sump. Will it mess up the display tank if i add dry rock to the sump without curing it someway first? or will the bacteria from the main tank take over and cure it? Where did you get your LEDs from?

I doubt you would see much cycle but just add the rock slowly, I would never exceed 25% the amount of current rock but I could be wrong. I got the LED from rapidled but I get leds in panel form now like what is in the sump.

Cool thanks for the info. I have been wondering about that for awhile. I get pretty nervous when it comes to a big change like that lol. I don't want to mess up and kill everything. Once again, really awesome build!

I will have to start one, because I have pictures throughout the process. I never did because I was new to the site and I did not feel like hearing a bunch of criticism but I have now realized that everyone on here is really cool and helpful. I will let you know when I get it going!

• 4 weeks later...

Today I took a minute to install my new water mixing station. I got tired of filling 5 gallon jugs, only to carry them to another room where I had a brute trash can with pump for mixing. Then it was back into the jugs to take them to the tanks and put the water in.

With this new setup I will always have a res of fresh water and with turning a few valves I can send the water into the second chamber where the same pump will mix the salt. Once it is mixed to the right salinity I can turn another valve and send the water into a jug to take to the tanks and fill.

I will still have to carry the jug to the tank and start a siphon but I soon plan on making a cart that I can roll under the water spot, fill up roll to the tank and swap water. I will eventually set up a battery bank on the cart so I won't even have to plug anything in just hit the switch and start the pump to pull water out, once it is out I will hit a second switch and have the new water go into the tank.

While I am in a rent house this will be the extent of my WC design. When I finally move I will use my apex to do automatic water changes and ATO.

post-2165-0-32228800-1342056706_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Is that on a platform? Renting sucks when it comes to reefing. I'm in the same boat. I would cut holes in my walls and have everything outside. But apparently that's frowned upon. I asked.

Yea it is placed up on the end of a workbench that was already here. My landlord is pretty cool about anything I do as long as I return it to the original condition or better before I leave. I just don't want to bother routing that type of plumbing into a house I'll eventually leave lol. That is also why I will only be upgrading to 150 gallons tops in this house, after that when I move I plan to buy one large tank and it be the end of tank buying for the time in that house, well large tank buying that is, still will always love small tanks.