Biocube 29 W/custom sump in stand

(Bio)³

So I have the acrylic sitting on my floor, new router table in the garage for when I do a little cutting on the acrylic. 90degree clamps in the mail (should arrive today), and I HAD all my plumbing.

Each night I have been either stopping by stores and slowly getting items I need and doing little bits of work on the weekends, only spending about an hour each weekend with the new tank. Last night I was adding my plumbing in and when screwing the barb into the bulk head I split the bulk head.

Nothing to take pictures of at this point but I will be getting pics of the sump as I build it.

Went by RCA and got a new bulkhead, got it mounted up.... now if my 90 degree clamps would show up I'll be on my way with building my sump!!

Still unsure how I will be lighting my sump though, don't think I want the heat from the PC lights under there.

Started the sump!

It took me about 3 days to find the clamps that I wanted, and the cool part was I hadn't found them and then amazon.com sent me a recomendation email and there it was. Most 90 degree clamps either go in the seam or don't have access to the seam at the edge. The clamps I found allow me to access the whole seam in one solid movement making my application process a breeze.

post-2165-0-53001100-1326598256_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-23199700-1326598261_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-28690800-1326598265_thumb.jp

Where did you get the acrylic? Online? How will you configure the sump? I have one that I made from glass. If you need an idea on what not to do. I know what I would do different next time. Which I am going to rebuild. Also, go to lifereef.com. Crazy expensive like 499.99 but it can give you an idea. Also, what size is your sump going to be. Mine is 16x16 square . But I can add an inch for a tighter fit.

Where did you get the acrylic? Online? How will you configure the sump? I have one that I made from glass. If you need an idea on what not to do. I know what I would do different next time. Which I am going to rebuild. Also, go to lifereef.com. Crazy expensive like 499.99 but it can give you an idea. Also, what size is your sump going to be. Mine is 16x16 square . But I can add an inch for a tighter fit.

I got the acrylic at regal plastics. Sump will have 1" line in. going into a filter sock/bubble trap type area, past the heater area, past the LR rubble/chaeto, through some baffles for bubbles again and out the return pump. I'll have my skimmer sitting in the chaeto area since the flow will be a bit slower there allowing a little extra clean time. I will be getting some LEDs a fellow reefer turned me on to and installing them under the shelf in the stand. After all this is done I'll be saving for an MP10 and an RKE w/net.

I've also bought a nifty little acrlyic box off another member that I'll make a lid for and use as my ATO storage. I think I'll look towards aquahub to get a kit or see if the group buy from autotopoff happens.

What did you do with your sump, what are your pro/con and what are you changing about it when you rebuild?

I got the time to put a few more pieces of acrylic together today! I'm thinking these will be cured by tomorrow evening and I'll add another 2 panels then since it only takes about 5 minuets to clamp up and add the weld on 4.

I think I'll be getting the sump wet on Friday evening, that allows time to add the remaining panels and give it 48 hours to fully cure. Once I water test it and make sure no leaks my tank will be getting wet!

post-2165-0-59902900-1326682016_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-45002000-1326682021_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-83454500-1326682026_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-25847400-1326682031_thumb.jp

My first chamber is inlet, with protein skimmer (I would make this slimmer next time). Next is the fuge. Which is 6 1/4 inches wide. Then return, which needs to be a little bigger so my mag 7 will fit better. Sump holds around 13.5 g. So when I do it again, I will use acrylic so I can be space concious.

How wide you gonna make it? Mine is 16" but 16 1/2 can fit. Might have to remove hinges but it will fit.

So I would go 16 1/2" with first chamer being 3". Half inch bubble trap (mine is an inch because it was as small as I could do with glass).

Second chamber being 9" for fuge.

Last chamber 3 1/2"

And my water level is 15".

Does that make sense?

Yea that makes sense, it sounds like our sumps will be identicle except my water height wont be as high, my outside walls will be that high but im leaving room for power failure and such.

I'm adding about 13 gallons to my system with the sump I have, it is 17 inches long btw.

I was lazy and just bought the plans online after seeing some videos of the sump within the stand.

I got this sump quoted at every glass shop in town. Binswanger was the cheapest at $84 when I called them on the phone. I also had sent them an email and they gave a quote of $108, after I told them I already got a $84 dollar quote on the phone they said that quote was wrong.Then I modified the plans a bit and wanted change out two individual pieces for one piece with a notch instead. Well that raised my new $108 price to $147.

I decided if I was going to be spending that type of money I'd rather have acrylic incase I get a mantis shrimp as my sump dweller. I went to regal plastics and they charged me $91 for all the acrylic cut to spec including the notch piece, a can of weld on 4, an applicator bottle, and a tube of acrylics 33 (weld 16 alternative because it was out of stock). The lady I dealt with was very polite and a joy to work with.

I have to still do the last side piece and the bottom and then it will all be done. I'm sure I could have done it a better smarter way but I chose to put all the baffles in one by one to have maximum room to work since I have larger hands and difficult times getting into the smaller sections I made.

I couldn't believe the prices either, I always thought acrylic would be more for some reason.

After setting the built section onto the bottom piece I decided to put the last wall on first since I will need this box in its final structure form. Also with how I positioned it last night it had a slight curve in it so I was able to glue all but one section, need to let those cure so I can put some spacers in and line up the final edge. After that I can drop it onto the bottom piece and seal it down.

I had to move the sump into the bathroom over the next 24 hours since the garage is so cold and I need to balance it on a stool(center support) to glue the edges. I chose the bathroom because of the tile floor and ability to shut the dogs out so they don't knock it over.

Pic of the sump as it now sits.post-2165-0-32685200-1327037990_thumb.jp

Looks good. When you can, I would like to see the set up. You gonna use a tunze 9002? I have had one for about a year and I don't know if my tank is just clean or what. It just really hasn't had much production. Even with mods. I might even hook up an air pump up to it to force more air in. Not sure what the deal is.

Once the build is complete and everything is running smooth your welcome to come over and check it out no problem. I can offfer up any information I may have to see if it will help you.

I am running a Tunze on my old BC29 right now and it has the intank cup.... the first two weeks it was very wet but now it is producing almost a paste last time I looked. I have heard you want slow water movemtn by them allowing maximum time to be in contact with the skimmer. My old BC has the rio 6HF mod in it and I also noticed that when it was fully opened the skimmer wasnt at its ffull potential, once a bit of chaeto got on the pump inlet screen and slowed the water down it increased the skimmers productivity.

Where is your tunze set and what height? Perhaps when you check out this new tank you can see if we have ours set diffrent at all.

I have the skimmer right at that little wave drawing on the front. It is where the water comes into the sump. I wouldn't say the water is going by it super fast but I will see. I might move it around and see if it changes things.

My water level is all the way to the top lid of the tunze right where the original air intake is, I try and keep it just half a hair under, mine actually gurggles alot as if water is hitting the air intake but I just let it gurggle since i get good skimmate.

Maybe your tank is just really clean?

I may try pushing the skimmer deeper and see if that helps. I have considered that the tank is just clean. Considering its size I guess its possible. This my third skimmer. I kept changing them because of low production.

I thought acrylic cured within 24 hrs. I could be wrong but I think thats what I read.

I pushed mine down until the bubbles were half way up the neck and I left it.

The bottle says 24-48 hours and I dont want to wait 48 hours lol. I'll wait for 24 and then just try it I think.

BTW, Bige thanks for tagging along on the journey seems I got a good amount of views but no one giving input besides you. Its nice to have someone to discuss the tank build with.

While the sump is sitting and drying I decided to put the splashguard back over the lights and toss eggcrate on the bottom for my aquascape.

I've got a mix of dry and live rock for this build, going to start off with the dry and move about half of my LR from the old BC29 into the new tank to start the cycle. I'm thinkg for my aqua scape I want the rock going up the back and down the edges leaving the center empty. I'll be creating a courtyard of sorts and eventually dropping a clam right in the center.

Next big upgrades will be an MP10wes and an RKE w/net.

post-2165-0-37830800-1327214033_thumb.jp

The court yard sounds cool. I have too much lr to do that right now but eventually I would like the same display. Why rke? I have heard much better reviews of apex but I would like to hear your thoughts. Apex is more $ but .....

As far as commenting and following, I hate when I spend my time posting pics that I am proud of only to have no one say anything. So I try to chime in as much as possible. And I would like to come see your tank when its set up. So you gotta let me know when your ready. I got some frags I could help you get things going. Just no gsp or xenia. They are a plague that I am dealing with. Also I am about to order a laser to eliminate pests. So that might be fun too.