Biocube 29 W/custom sump in stand

(Bio)³

So I decided I would document my tank build here, nothing too special just something I fell in love with one time I went into a fish store. Recently my friend had a tank with all the goods that he no longer wanted. I offered $50 to take it off his hands and he accepted to my surprise. So here is where I start, I took a razor blade and cut the back wall out and scraped the extra silicone off. Did a leak test to make sure I didn't get any cuts where I didn't want them. Ordered my hole saws and bulk heads, then I'm off to drill!

post-2165-0-62246200-1321590742_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-05820300-1321590746_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-92433000-1321590750_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-46810000-1321590754_thumb.jp

I wish it was wet, we had a bunch of things to get done at work and still had to shoot a new video for new products. Then the holidays hit and I went out of state but now that I'm back I'll be working on it. It's driving me nuts just sitting here staring at me.

Alright so yesterday on lunch I was going to drill a window pane to test out my glass drilling skills...... 30 seconds into drilling I stopped to check the hole and while looking at the window not drilling it decided to go into a million pieces. Turned out to be tempered, that was enough to make me not wanna drill my tank that day. Today I'm gonna see if H.I wants to drill any of his small tanks for practice before I drill my BC....

getting closer though!

Today was the day! I drilled my holes and installed my bulk heads. Also sent a request to get a quote for my sump glass to be cut. Was super easy to cut the holes and I'm glad I did it myself, saved me money and now I have the tools to cut more tanks when I need to. One step closer!!shifty.gif

post-2165-0-03781100-1322949199_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-29853400-1322949203_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-73558800-1322949207_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-04297200-1322949213_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-32073100-1322949218_thumb.jp

Thats great! You gonna have 2 returns and 1 drain? Did you get the kit from glassholes.com?

quick word to the wise - don't type in glassholes.com = very very dirty site, it's glass-holes.com. Apparently the dash is a critical distinction

• Like 1

I typed the with no dash and it for sure isnt where you want to be.

On the good hand, I couldn't sleep last night and since the tank was drilled I decided to bring the stand and empty tank into the living room and set it up. On monday I'll be calling around and getting glass cut. Tuesday building the sump and then doing a leak test. Hoping by Thursday/Friday I can have saltwater running through the system and start tossing a little bit of live rock in to start cycling. While that all happens I'll build my LED retrofit kit and get it all set and onto the tank.

Saving for the RKE now so I can eventually have auto water changes and control of the tank with my iphone, as much as possible atleast.

Edited by BiocubeD

Got a picture of how it will be sitting for the next few days while I wait to get glass and my LEDs built.

I have also decided that I will take the PC bulb setup and put it below over my 13 gallon custom sump. I have some new bulbs I bought off ARC for $10 each so that will give me a good starting point until I can get LEDs under there one day. Having alot of fun with this so far and the cube cleaned up real nice after a vinegar wipe down.

post-2165-0-30468800-1323025339_thumb.jp

Edited by BiocubeD

Also, if anyone has any input on aquascaping please post! I'm still undecided about sand color and texture and other tidbits. I currently have 2 false clowns that will be going into the tank along with 2 snails and a pep shrimp. Looking to put a goby/pistol pair into the display and then look for something interesting/fun that wouldn't be saffe up top to go into the sump.

Any input helps, I like to hear ideas!

• 4 weeks later...

So the tank has sat for a few weeks while I built my LED lights and got the bad parts replaced. I've now got the new lights installed and they work beautifully. This weekend I will be building an acrylic sump. I need to research how long I have to let it cure for before I can water test it.

I snapped a couple quick pics of the LED at full power, currently sitting with that being the only light source in the house.... think i'm going to LOVE this tank.

You will notice I snapped a picture of the top of the tank, I put the original rubber cover back in where the old lights got turned on and off and it now glows!

post-2165-0-16966100-1325308070_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-58526800-1325308074_thumb.jp

post-2165-0-15289900-1325308078_thumb.jp

If you can resist the urge to get clowns, you can have more fish. I have a randal's goby and pistol pair, which is really cool.

I had a goby/pistol and a pair of clowns in my 29g biocube. Totally doable.