Richard's 225 g Build

Richard L

If you're ever free sometime I'd love to check out that setup and pick your brain a bit...

If I'm not at work I'm screwing around with my tank, so come on over!

Is that Todd's ORA Red Planet on the left side of the tank, mid level?

Yes sir. Killer piece that looks like its been growing out of my rock for years.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful tank, man. Great setup, lots of great touches. Thanks again for the invite! Can't wait to see the room once the wood paneling is in place! If any of you guys get a chance to check out Richard's tank, I highly recommend it.

Word of warning, though: on your way to his fish room, as you pass through his backyard, suddenly your backyard is going to seem like a slum by comparison. Absolutely fantastic yard and incredible tank, man. I still can't believe it's lit that well with only three Radions!!

I still can't believe it's lit that well with only three Radions!!

Funny coincidence, I just scored a used Radion to add to my trio. As I mentioned to you I only have the three Radions set at 80% during the day with good growth and color with my SPS so I'm not looking to add more light intensity (if that's the right word). Rather I'll reconfigure the light arrangement to more evenly light up some of the areas shaded by things like my loc-lines and rock overhangs. BTW, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to meeting Wendy.

Great looking setup. When are we going to see pics of the water change system? I would like to try to simplify my setup in the near future.

I don't have an automatic system for water changes but the proceedure is pretty simple. A valve diverts water from the primary pump to a drain. Before I put a frag tank in my sump I would just drain down the refugium area of my sump which just had chaeto in it. That gets approximately 15 gallons (about 5% of my total water volume). I'd close that valve, start pumping water from the saltwater mixing station (see my description on top of page 2) via the mixing station's pump and then turn the primary back on. As the water level starts to get close to the old level I turn my ATO back on. When the ATO clicks off I know I have refilled the tank perfectly so salinity shouldn't budge. BTW I installed a three way switch in the DT room and in the garage to control the saltwater mixing pump. I use my Apex on the Iphone to control the primary pump and ATO during this opertation. Takes me about 4-5 minutes w/out distractions.

The only caveat is that I have put a frag rack in the refugium so I can't draw the water down from it without hurting the corals. Temporarily I have been siphoning out of the DT and planned on replumbing a more permanent fix. Now that I purchased Medi's 100g rimless, I'll probably move my frags over to it and keep the original design.

Oh, and unlike mcallahan, Wendy and I happen to LIKE the scallop shell on the back wall... whistle.gif

Yeah, it's just tank bling. All the hip tanks in France are sporting them right now. I have my eye on a bubble activated treasure chest next.

• 2 months later...

Apparently my tank is up for lease! I'm guessing the diamond goby is behind it. He is always making trouble in my tank.

post-2030-0-74513000-1334947281_thumb.jp

Actually my BTA is on the move again and I was using this plastic sign to shield the light from behind the rocks (his favorite place). I came home yesterday and found the sign wedged between the live rock and corals with surgical precision. Amazingly no damage was done. A few of the LPS were closed up because the flow of the Vortechs was being redirected. It kind of looked like one of those Disneyfied monstrosities those guys on the "Tanked" show build.

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been two weeks since my RBTA started his walkabout and of course he's right back where he started. My clownfish has this look like he's saying "really?".

I guess I can't complain since he didn't sting anything and avoided the Vortechs! I'm going to wait a couple more days to make sure he's staying put before I put my corals back where they were. Then I'm going to print up some 2012 Tank Tour tshirts to celebrate the event.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, started phase...um...oh just pick any number. Expanding the aquarium room to allow for more furniture, adding can lights and finally building the cabinet around the tank. Fish are confused but the crabs don't care.

post-2030-0-84640000-1337907385_thumb.jp

Also did a little exploring in the koi pond today.

post-2030-0-73832200-1337907102_thumb.jp

Sweet photo of the koi pond. I'd love to build one at our house. My wife isn't really that keen on it though, she'd rather have a real pool. I'm hoping to add both while we have the tractor digging the holes.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank looks great. I may have missed it but what company built the tank? And what are the dimensions? What is your fish list? That you have and intend to add in the future. Great work.

Since I built the tank with Richard, I can answer part of your question:

Dutch Aquarium Systems built the tank

72x24x30

• 2 months later...

In case anyone missed them here are links to Mark Callahan's video's about my build:

Video #1 http://www.mrsaltwat...-a-reef-junkie/

Video #2 http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/how-to-upgrade-your-saltwater-tank-like-a-reef-junkie-part-2/

BTW, the construction of all the components for the tank's cabinet is now complete. Before I do the final assembly, I need to reorganize all of the equipment that is attached to the back wall so that it will be easily accessible. Should have some final pics this weekend to share.

Today I am declaring this tank build done! It was an difficult 9 month journey but well worth it. I am very pleased at the results and I'm excited about just letting the tank grow out without the contractors, saw dust, drop cloths, power outages, paint fumes, etc. Here's a few pics:

Overall view

post-2030-0-29339900-1346002537_thumb.jp

Closeups of cabinet. Iridescent black glass tile with a dark grey bamboo laminate.

post-2030-0-47784700-1346002469_thumb.jppost-2030-0-30095100-1346002742_thumb.jp

View from my desk

post-2030-0-94162500-1346002803_thumb.jp

Archived