Suggestions for a new bank?

C Lo Slice

I'm so flippin' sick of Wells Fargo! When I signed up with them 2 years ago, I was supposed to have a student account which meant no monthly account fees. I even opened the account with a branch manager, not just some hourly associate who was promising things that the company couldn't deliver on. I went there from Wachovia, which was right after the merger so it was an easy transfer for me. Well, I have 4 accounts (sole owner checking and savings, and a joint checking and savings with my wife so its easier and quicker to pay bills that we split). Well just since April or so I've been getting charged $15 monthly fees on each of the 4 accounts. As a married 22 year old homeowner with two car payments while also paying my way thru school, these $60 monthly fees are not something I'm able to just let go of. Plus, they are randomly assessing these fees; they're NEVER on the same day or even the same week of the month, so I'm not able to plan for it to process.

Does anyone have any suggestions for banks that I can go to that have plenty of locations both here and in Dallas (we're in Dallas every 3 weeks to visit my in-laws). I want a place who actually cares about their customers. I'm sick of my account getting drawn in the negative, being charged a bogus overdraft fee, and then having the company demand an exact date on when I'll return my account to a positive amount when I call to complain about the charges. I've worked in customer service since I was 16 and I know what good service is; I'm sick of being treated like I'm a millionaire who doesn't matter.

chase

That's what my mom keeps telling me to do, but my wife is skeptical because she has some friends who are having trouble with them. My mother swears they're the best bank she's ever had, though. Either way, whatever bank I choose to go with, whatever they promise me, I'm getting in writing from the bank manager and their supervisor just to cover my @$$. So sick of getting screwed out of my own money...

I don't think they have made it to Dallas yet but I love my RBFCU account. I'm the type that always uses their debit card for purchases, and each swipe as an added bonus I get 10 cents back. Each year I end up with a couple hundred dollars worth from my swipes alone.

oh, and I used to bank with wells fargo and I'm very familiar with those fees. Another problem I had with them is that they would process debits first and then deposits after. Because of that I experienced a few overdraft fees....none of which would be returned, all except the first one. Think they were like $34.99 each or something.

Anyways that was before they started with the monthly fees....I'd get out of dodge dude. I cannot say enough good things about USAA.

Most any Credit Union these days can provide any service a bank could. If I were you I would switch to a Credit Union. I have not had a Bank account since the early 80's and have been very happy with that decision. All my accounts are with Credit Unions.

Chase is decent for a bank. As suggested above, most any credit union will be much better than any bank. USAA is a great bank if you are eligible to setup an account with them.

With the recent debit regulation, I would expect most banks to start adding more fees all over the place. Free checking itself may be on the way out entirely as a result as well.

Had BOM, Chase, and now Extraco. BOM/Chase does the same thing, they hold debits back(sometimes up to 3 days"pending") awaiting a larger transaction to show up and its pulled first in the hopes of zero balancing an acct to assess OD fees at $35 a pop. BOM is actually in a lawsuit right now about their transaction process methods. Just think, your OD charges helped them acquire Merrile Linch. Chase does the same thing but not to the extent that BOM did. I have had one OD charge in 3 years with Extraco and at the end of the day, it was my fault. My direct deposit is on 9am every Wed. I could be in the negative starting Tuesday morning and when my deposit hits, it pushes all transaction forward therefore showing I was never negative and no OD fees are assessed. Now, if its Monday and neg...all bets are off. I have 2 accts and they have ZERO fees. Both checking, one for bills, and one for spending funds. They are expanding and have Branches all over Central Tx but none in Dallas. If thats a deal breaker then understandable.

As far as the OD method, they don't do it any more unless you opt-in for overdraft protection. Accounts should all clear in the order the transaction was received unless you opt-in for overdraft protection, where they still use the old, break the account clearing model.

• Like 1

Any big bank will hit you with fees regardless of how you setup the account. I worked at First Interstate, then Wells Fargo. Additionally, Chase and BOA have pending legislation to allow them to charge even more for checking accounts and ATMs. Your best bet is to find a local credit union. Most credit unions now have reciprocal ATM agreements that allow you to use any credit union ATM in the network without fees. They almost all waive checking account charges for most accounts, and they offer lower interest rates on their credit cards. There is really no reason at all to go with a large bank anymore, and if you do you ultimately pay out the nose for whatever that feature you want is.

I haven't had Chase hold stuff trying to get an over draft fee before, but we use to have that problem with Compass constantly. If you have more than $500 in direct deposits monthly, then Chase has a no fee checking account. I've heard good things about credit unions though...probably better to check them out first.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. All my friends have been telling me to go to a credit union too. My wife got a $12.50 "maintenance fee" this morning. She hasn't been getting fees like I have. It's just getting out of control.

Whatever happened to CASH? I've never once over drafted an account, probably because I've never had a checking account. Nope I pay for everything with cash or I draw teller checks from my credit union if it needs to be mailed in. I use my credit card and paypal to pay bills online, or to make online purchases, and neither are tied to my accounts. That way they cannot sneak in and make a grab for my money. I send in a teller check once a month and pay off the credit card bill every month. Well I can say my methods have worked well for 20 years and I plan to make it work for another 40 or so. As long as they keep printing cash, that's the method I will prefer. I have a savings account with Austin Telco credit union and they've always treated me with respect, have never made an attempt to charge me for anything other than when I ask to print out more than 1 check per visit or when I asked to have records printed out (records were $1 a month to print and each check is $1). The small inconvenience to need to visit the CU once a week to print out a check to be mailed sure beats recurring $35 overdraft charges and possible impact of a negative credit report. Notice I did say "inconvenience". When you visit a grocery store the prices are cheaper than the corner store right? They call them "convenience stores", you pay for the convenience. The banks think you don't mind paying $35 for the convenience of using your debit card.

The original poster made a comment about having 4 separate accounts and how he was outraged by the fees. I can relate to the feeling but at some point you need to man up and realize that dude you have 4 accounts at the same bank. I can understand why they would charge you maintenance fees for that many accounts. Simplify your life. You don't need that many accounts. You say that you and the Wife have an account together, does that mean that she also has several accounts somewhere else? As in, a total of 6-8 accounts to manage? I have 1 savings account to keep my liquid cash in and 1 401K that I divert 25% of my income into. That's it. My GF saw how I did it and decided that for whatever reason that she had 3 different banks wasn't working anymore, and switched everything to 1 USAA online account that offers free checking and a savings account. She can pull cash from an ATM for free and can also make deposits at any credit union free of charge. She no longer gets random charges and loves the "scan a check feature".

• Like 1