What do you want to learn about? ROUND TWO

Headless_donkey

I am starting a new thread to pick a topic for the next meeting. I thought the discussions we had at the last meeting were great! BTW videos of the presentations have been posted.

I have taken some ideas from the old thread and added some new. If anyone has a suggestion please suggest it. We are ALWAYS looking for speakers. If you have a topic you would like to share with the club, please speak up.

Different DIY projects covering topics such as: (big topic, could be reoccurring)

Drilling glass and acrylic

Different type pipes/connections and why, when and how to use each

Planning and building Sumps & Fuges

Closed loop systems

Auto top offs

Fragging

Reef controllers/Automation

Different filtration methods and techniques

Seahorses

Anemones

Fish diseases

-James

James

I am down with some DIY stuff. In fact I have had great success with an auto top-off I built for around 20 bucks.

I am currently putting together a custom nano cube that I assembled from the ground up - all acrylic. I would be

glad to share with the club on some of these topics. I guess we will have to see what or if anyone is interested.

If I have the ability to make something I usually do I enjoy the satisfaction. Here is a picture of the cube.

James D

post-55-1186542056_thumb.jpg

James

I am down with some DIY stuff. In fact I have had great success with an auto top-off I built for around 20 bucks.

I am currently putting together a custom nano cube that I assembled from the ground up - all acrylic. I would be

glad to share with the club on some of these topics. I guess we will have to see what or if anyone is interested.

If I have the ability to make something I usually do I enjoy the satisfaction. Here is a picture of the cube.

James D

I think 2 good topics would be:

- how to prepar for a Emergancy!

- DIY (ie-making equipment to simple plumbing)

there seems to be a lot of talk on Stomatopods, lots of people have been seeing more of them lately but they're still sort of mystified as being evil nuisance creatures, I could give a 5 minute overview and feild a Q&A if there's any interest.

Man you guys are great!

Aquatic-J- That cube is awesome! I am sure everyone would want to hear about. If you talk about Auto top-offs, I have to tell my personal horror stories of DIY ATO gone wrong. Maybe we could even include some other DIY projects. I could talk about how to hook up fans and moon lights.

CaptainBob- A stomatopod talk would be fascinating.

You guys are on for the next meeting. Thanks for stepping up!

Now we just need a place to hold it. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Maybe just talking about nano tanks in general (setup, upkeep, etc.). They seem to be all the rage now. I've only had one for about a year, but I've learned a lot about them, and would be willing to share info about them.

I'll try and post pics of my tanks soon, I keep meaning to take some.

Now we just need a place to hold it. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Are you nudging me? :) Although my tank is fairly new, I'm happy to host a meeting.

There is going to be a frag swap (announcement coming soon) it the later part of Sept, so I will offer up my place for the October meeting.

There seems to have been a lot of talk on the forum concerning the benefits of micro/macro algae’s. How about the pros and cons along with good and bad algae’s.

And/or a DIY on how to convert your HOB filter to a mini refugium.

Hello to All

Thanks James for the compliments on the cube. It is my prototype I kinda took the good and the bad of all the mass

produced cubes and (I think) improved on them. I am planning on building another one to improve on my own design.

I would love to bring it to the next meeting to show off my handywork.

I wouldn't mind showing how to build an auto top-off as well or anything else I might have knowlege on.

PS I wouldn't mind hosting the next meeting it's just that I live out past the airport. I would also have to talk to the wife.

nano tanks and stomatopods are a great combination, I'll talk to bruce and see if he'd be game to host a meeting after hours at the tek one night next month... one word of warning though, if we schedule it the same weekend as ACL, I won't be there :)