setting up tank - please help!

Daisy82

Hi all! Well, it's finally time to upgrade (woohoo!!) and my mind - and bank account - are officially boggled. I know alot of you have been around the block when it comes to setting up tanks, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions (where to buy for reasonable prices, good brands) for the following:

(so far have checked out CL, some online sites including fishtanksdirect.com, and my LFS)

110-120 gal drilled tank with overflows (would like an acrylic bowfront but willing to go with a glass/rectangle)

Wood canopy and stand (prefer unfinished so I can stain it myself)

Sump (with baffles and room for skimmer - not sure what size)

Skimmer (lost on this one. currently running an Urchin in my 85 gal. not sure if it's doing a good job, or if it is rated for a bigger tank)

Lighting (thinking about LED's but haven't seen these in action yet. May just go with t5's - either way they will need to be retrofitted into the canopy. Nothing too serious needed - only keeping softies)

Wavemaker

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I can't answer all of them, but the selling forum on here is great for picking up 2nd hand tanks.

I hear Fishy Business are good for drilling tanks and making sumps too.

I know you didn't ask, but I also recommend Marco Rocks for live rock. It's cheaper than the live stuff and ends up being just as good (better actually, as its really nice looking rock!). I used it for my nano and I just ordered a bunch for my new 144g. They have a 99c aquascape for sale every tues (CherryScapes) but I wasn't quick enough this week (blast!) :)

If I was you I'd consider going for the best lighting you can afford. You say you'll only want softies, but then you'll see a nice LPS... and then a anemone... and then hmm, maybe some SPS? :D

The more water volume in your sump, the better. We have a 60 gallon custom sump under our 180... has room for skimmer, refugium, UV sterilizer pump, and return pump, with room to spare.

Definitely watch on Craigslist and here on ARC. We got our 180, custom sump, skimmer (we didnt use it tho) return pump, about 80lbs of live rock, stand, canopy, and 2 - 5 gallon buckets of sand on Craigslist for $600.

Even though I have maintained sumpless systems for years I would set up the biggest sump I could fit in the stand. More volume and more surface area, both good in my book. As far as deciding between T5s and LEDs I would go with LEDs. The ones I've looked at put out roughly 1.3 to 1.5 more light per watt than T5s. Once you figure in bulb life LEDs are more cost effective over the life of the fixture and bulb.

One stop shopping: Prof at Epic Reef.

He usually has tanks/stands laying around, and may have dry rock still. The gear will be used.

He can also make a stand and probably a sump too.

I'd suggest calling him.

Baring the above;

Get a new rectangular tank(cheaper than bowfront) in glass(won't scratch).

The stand I got from RCA is very nice, and can probably be had unfinished. It's made in DFW by....someone(forgot the name but Jake will know.)

Biggest sump that will fit.

Can't help on the skimmer question.

I'd say get the lights a few levels above what you think you want to keep. It may be softies now but you'll want a clam or nem or something down the road and you wont want to upgrade then. Those new LED's from Ecotech are pretty sweet but pricey. I think if I was starting over I'd seriously check them out.