Oceanic 30 Gallon Planted Tank

I thought I'd keep a log of the current tank build that I have underway. How did I get here?!

After a couple years without a tank setup, I decided to try and clear the final aquarium sitting in my garage. It is a 30 gallon Oceanic that my sister previously had setup but then moved from her apartment. As a result it moved into my garage. I posted it and after about six months and still no sell I've decided to set it up as a planted tank.

Since I didn't have a stand for it but after some searching I decided to make one myself as I wanted it to be taller than the standard available stands. After some work to cut down the 3/4" birch plywood, I had a stand. I decided to use "bed liner" black paint to coat the entire thing.

The only other equipment that was already with the tank was an Ehiem HOB filter and the standard stock light. I plan to replace the light but still on the fence concerning the HOB filter. I'm not sure what negative impact I can expect from the filter related to O2 / CO2 exchange, if any. More to come.

aquarium.bmp

filter.bmp

This past weekend I made a trip to North Austin and decided to pick up my substrate for the tank. I ended up going with three bags of Flourite. Two bags of black flourite and one bag of dark flourite. I like the grain differences but ultimately like the color of the black the best. I used the dark on the bottom and covered with the black.

The overall dust created within the Flourite was ridiculous and it took some time but finally got it all washed up and into the tank. I will finish my light hanger that I'm building out of aluminum this evening and will post some more pictures tomorrow.

filter.bmp

aquarium.bmp

Not a big fan of any HOB filters except the aqua clear's and the HOT magnum. HOB's do a good job but they require much more maintenance and they often self defeat the entire concept of biological filtration since you completely change the cartridge out every month or so. If you do go with a HOB, I would modify it to run filter floss followed by a bio media like Ehfisubstrat Pro or Azoo Quartz balls. The Azoo balls are better and come in at about 1/3 of the cost of the eheim media. Change the floss every few weeks and carefully rinse the bio media every 6 months to once per year.

As to the CO2/O2 exchange, are you planning on running CO2 on the tank? Ideally you want little surface agitation, but most will realize that your O2 levels will drop much to low for most fish loads, so you're going to need some agitation, whether it be a surface skimmer, some bubbles, or a HOB filter.

Ok after a vacation break, I've finally had a chance to post some pictures of the light bracket I built to support a pendant system. I used some alumium I purchased from Lowes that is supposed to be used for edging on plywood. I attached it to the side of the tank via stainless screws using a wood spacer that I painted black. The upright pieces are attached to the top piece using galvanized corner brackets on the inside with stainless bolts. Let me know what you think. I initially was going to use the bent conduit but came across the aluminum pieces while browsing Lowes and decided to use it for its modern yet sleek design. I thought it offset the black tank / stand with just enough contrast.

Overall, I'm trying to keep the tank expenses at a minimal, but insure I have the right elements for a successful planted tank.

As for the HOB, I've decided to ditch it later on once it is completely cycled for an Ehiem Ecco canister filter. I've read a number of good reviews and for the price, it is unmatched. It will definitely help to keep the tank relatively quiet and what I like, have the canister hidden in the stand instead of hanging on the back of the tank.

As for the remaining items I'm still struggling on the lighting and plan for C02 supplementation. The tank is less than 2ft wide (~18 inches) so it is difficult to find light fixtures that fit it. It looks like I will need to use a pendant, probably a 70 or 150 watt halide. I will keep looking for a good deal. Any suggestions?

As for C02, I initially was going to try and get away with DIY and then once the time is right, move to a bottle system. About 8 years ago, I had two smaller planted tanks (10 gallon) that I used DIY Yeast C02 on that were pretty successful. I haven't done much research since then on available options, so will need to continue digging. Any suggestions?

Overall, it is now filled with water and has been running for about a week. Anyone local have a planted tank that is overgrown and in need of grooming? I could use some starters for the tank!

post-777-0-52129400-1313442861_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-95013000-1313442871_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-64198100-1313442884_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-78568200-1313442897_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-42351600-1313442911_thumb.jpg

There's a used 150W mh clamp on here for sale for like $75. It would be a good light for the tank. With that being said, you pretty much must run CO2, if you use intense lighting like that. I would have a hard time believing you could remotely keep algae in check with a 70W and a low bio load on a tank that size, let alone a 150W.

A semi or fully automated would be the way to go with that lighting, but they're definitely expensive. I did see a Milwaukee automatic regulator in the hardware section a few weeks ago for a very reasonable price. Personally, I don't really care for yeast or similar CO2 because there's not a lot of control with them. I've seen people crash tanks with them, and I've seen them be completely useless. I would opt for a very low photo period, until you can get a proper CO2 system. I have been running a split daylight cycle so the tank is on when I'm at home but is off when I'm at work. I run ~200W T5 over a 75, with fully automated CO2. Even at 6 hours per day, the plant growth is almost unmanageable. At any more than 6, the algae out competes the plants.

A 70 or 150Mh over a tank your size is going to take a lot of patience and restraint to establish a balanced system. Once you do get a light, I would literally start at about an hour or 2 per day and very slowly over weeks or months, increase the photo period.

Thanks for the advice, I also had a concern with the MH lighting intensity for this size tank. I came across AH Supply website earlier today while surfing and thinking about a 2x36 watt kit instead of the halide. I could build a small shell for it out of aluminum to match the rack / holder that would suspend it above the open tank. Overall taking it very slow on this build and will see what comes along. It has a couple more weeks to run before I plan to add anything to the tank.

Well here is an update as of today. I had some time today and run some errands so decided to build a pretty neat light setup I saw on a different forum. The guy used a lamp kit and bowl from Ikea.

Materials:

Hemma Light Socket / Cord - from IKEA

Blanda Blank Serving Bowl (11 inch) - from IKEA

1 5/8 inch hole saw

Light bulb (I used a daylight 6k power compact that equals 120 watt inc. bulb)

Overall it cost me $25 bucks since I already owned the hole saw, not bad. However, I don't like how the bulb tips sticks out a bit. Dependent on how the growth is on the tank from this bulb, I may scrap the entire project to buy a light pendant OR replace the bulb with an PAR38 LED bulb (I already measured, this will not stick out the bottom!). Time will tell.

I also made a trip to Aquatek and purchased a handful of stones and some driftwood. I'm working on mounting the driftwood over the next couple days and should have it in the tank by the end of the weekend.

Through a few hours of research I've identified the remainder of my equipment:

Filter: I plan to ditch the Eheim HOB for the smallest Eheim ECCO canister filter.

C02: I plan to purchase the Milwakee Regulator / Solenoid kit to hook up an automated, pressurized system. As for diffuser / reactor the plan is to dose the C02 via tubing directly into the intake of the ECCO and leverage the canister filter as a combination filter / reactor. Anyone see any issues with this?

post-777-0-50719700-1313718951_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-36418200-1313718961_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-40904300-1313718970_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-36817500-1313718980_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-62602400-1313718999_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a start of October update.

As previously noted, I put in an order for some equipment. My C02 regulator and filter (I ended up going with the mid level Eheim ECCO) was delivered in early September but I was waiting on my GLA C02 Atomizer in-line diffuser to come in before setting up both items. I ended up getting the diffuser FINALLY in mid September. I let it run for a week and then stopped by a LFS. I couldn't resist and ended up picking up a few plants (Dwarf Sagittaria - front left, Crypt wenti - middle, and Corkscrew Val - back right). A week later I then added 12 Cardinal Tetras.

I also ordered a AquaticLife (2x18watt) T5HO fixture that I hope to have delivered tomorrow. Once it is setup, I will take a couple more pictures of the equipment setup. This should complete the build from an equipment standpoint and would just need to finish off the livestock.

I plan to add 6 additional Cardinal Tetras, 3 Cories (undecided on species, smaller side), and fill in some of the corkscrew val and get an offsetting color plant (something red that stands out). I hope to have the remaining items in the tank over the next week or two and then let it GROW!

post-777-0-91004600-1317690365_thumb.jpg

More fun toys! On Tuesday my AquaticLife fixture arrived and I got it setup. I ended up also buying an additional 6k bulb to replace the roseate bulb that is combined with the fixture. I hope the fixture provides the required output to get my plants growing / thriving

Here is an overall equipment update

1) Filter – Eheim ECCO 2234 - the initial Eheim HOB filter I started with has been replaced with this canister filter. Overall I love it and have had zero issues. It is SO quiet. The only complaint I have is the inlet / outlet portions that are within the aquarium are green and thus standout against my black background. I may at one time invest into the clear, glass replacements.

2) Lighting – AquaticLife T5H0 20” Unit – it holds two T5HO 18 inch / 18 watt bulbs with individual reflectors. It replaced my DIY screw in CF fixture that was only a 26 watt output twisted bulb. The new fixture definitely helps to evenly light the tank. As a result, I broke down the aluminum frame I had built to support the original DIY light.

3) C02 – Diffuser – GLA Atomic C02 Inline Diffuser – I got this so I don’t have anything further in the actual tank, so it mounted outside in line with the canister filter output. So far I’ve had no issues with it and it has been running for about a month.

4) C02 – Regulator - Milwaukee (MA957) C02 Regulator with Solenoid – this has also been setup for about a month on a 5lb C02 tank. I’ve only had one issue with dialing it in…the inline diffuser requires 30psi, so I dial that in with the initial valve adjustment initially but the bubble counter is going crazy so I adjust the needle valve to bring this down to a smaller number of bubbles per second but I basically almost need the needle valve completely closed. Maybe this is normal but I’m unsure

Now with all my equipment complete, it is time to let the tank grow in. I’m hoping the updated lighting requires the necessary output to get the tank growing to fill it in. That is it for today.

post-777-0-25716800-1317855905_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-48945000-1317855912_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-60864800-1317855918_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-35378600-1317855925_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you already have this in place or not, Plants dont use co2 at night. So put your co2 on a timer, turning it off at night. Then run an air stone at night to oxygenate the tank. It will keep you ph in check. I am glad to see you setting up a planted tank. I can't wait to set up mine. I had one years ago and had discus and neons.

Yes, the C02 regulator also came with a solenoid that I have plugged into a timer that follows my lighting cycle. When the lights turn off, the C02 is stopped.

I picked up 6 additional cardinals and 4 cories today. I consider my tank stocked now and may add one or two ottos if required due to algae.

Now time to watch it grow in. I will continue to take monthly pictures to capture the overall growth of the tank.

Check your ph in the morning before the CO2 comes on. I was running mine off at night and was getting huge ph swings. Even though plants don't use CO2 at night it evaporates out which causes the ph to go up. I was going from about 7.2 to 9'ish. Haven't tested recently but I've seen Austin water at about 9.5 ph out of the faucet.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delayed posting. My original intention was to post a monthly picture to follow progress. In early November, I went on a business trip to Germany for 10 days. When I came back home, I was overwhelmed with an algae infested aquarium. My wife continued her story that she followed all my steps. To this day, I'm still not sure what happened. My original guess was I lost one of the cardinal tetras, but I will never know as they're too fast to count.

Since early November I started weekly 5 gallon water changes and in December with a still losing battle, I implemented 50% water changes each week for a month. In early January I could see progress as the algae growth had started to subside and finally by end of January I have almost all the remaining, now dead algae removed. As it accumulated I would siphon it out and with the next water change should have the war behind me.

During this battle prone period, I had little growth and actually lost a good portion of the plant leaves due to the algae overtaking them. Even though I've lost a number of leaves, I've only lost one plant since the ordeal started. In early January I expanded the collection by adding some additional corkscrew and jungle val + a portion of java fern.

Both the val and java fern are starting to reproduce. Almost all of the main leaves of the java fern now has "daughter" growing and I expect will soon release.

Here is an updated picture of the full tank, java fern reproducing and the java moss that I attached to the driftwood that is showing positive signs of growth.

post-777-0-11077600-1328146929_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-75825900-1328146951_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-96975400-1328146970_thumb.jpg

Archived