Oceanic 30 Gallon Planted Tank

What's your tank temp and photo period? Austin water quality is just shy of sewage, so NO3 and PO4 are more than present right out of the tap. In a high light environment it equals algae in every tank I've ever setup here. I don't think the single tetra loss would single-handedly cause the algae bloom. I would stick with the 50% water changes though. You should get better plant growth and fish health with that much water turnover. Also, not sure if you have looked in to ferts, but check out the estimated index dosing method. It works perfectly with 50% weekly water changes. You can get some unbelievable growth using it. I had to stop because I got sick of pruning, but it's a great method if you want to really ramp up your plant growth. Also, your water change water will do wonders for any plant you use it on.

If you want to try fertilizing, check out these guys for dry ferts: http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

Get a half pound to a pound of Plantex, KNO3, and KH2PO4, and they'll last for years on that size tank.

I keep the tank at 78F. The photo period is 8 hours. I don't use tap water. I use RO water that is ~15ppm. I did buy a fertilizer additive but haven't used it yet. I may try it once I get the tank under control for an extended period. Baby steps right now!

• 4 months later...

It has been a couple months since I provided an update, so here we go.

These pictures are from today after a water change and some clearing of the overgrown plants. The tank has been doing very well after my initial algae issue. Overall I'm enjoying it and have started to get thoughts of upgrading the tank to either 3 or 4ft. I'm not sure my wife will like to hear that.

I even added a picture from February to show the difference and how far it has come along in four short months.

post-777-0-17240500-1338682321_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-73454400-1338682330_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-85764300-1338682509_thumb.jpg

Archived