Little_Reef's Blog

Brooks

Well, I have a pretty large fan that I just put up after reading Mr. Robert's post. I can't really put it behind my tank, so I put it on the side where air kind of reaches all throughout the area. It's not near the top of the water, but I can sort of feel a breeze when I stick my hand near it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another thought - you probably run the same electric heaters we do,, the submersible type glass ones.. they I have found to be quite adept liars as far as the setting on the dial goes. - they might be over-heating yuor water higher than they indixate - opff by as much as 5 degrees from what the setting says it is.

How to fix that: - Use a good medical thermometer for this test:

Fill a small bucket of water (just tap water) and put the heater into it. - Wait.. at least one hour for the small bucket to reach

stable temp. - Then check the water bucket's temp using the medical grade thermometer (the kind you stick in your mouth) and

see how "accurate" that heater setting is..

Mine to this day - I have three heaters in the tank, and on one of them I have to keep it set to 76 or it will heat it higher than 81!

(Don't trust the dial, no not at all...heh.)

This I recommend doing since this "heater calibration" test costs nothing but your time and will reassure you that you don't have your heaters

constantly fighting your efforts to keep the tank cool. -Be sure to allow 10 minutes after unplugging a glass heater before removing it from water or else the glass may shatter from rapid expansion. (the elements inside and the ceramics inside need time to cool).

Tell me - you do have a GFI outlet running this tank right ? (Most important for your safety, forgive me, I am an old electrician,

so I tend to harp quite boringly on this issue). But sooner or later those 120 volt heater cords are GOING to eventually fail at the seals where they enter these

"submersible" units, and a good working GFI will save your life. :(

I've lowered the heater significantly. I know what you mean when you say they aren't accurate... R.I.P. neon tetras. I've gotten the temperature down to 80. My thermometer is one of the stick-on the glass thermometers. I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but it seems to be doing it's job. I also moved my heater down into my sump. And yes, I do have a GFI. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't uploaded many pictures in a while. Here's some after adding the Halide, and most of these are while under actinics.

Halide -

DSC_6311.jpg

DSC_6353.jpg

DSC_6307.jpg

DSC_6292.jpg

DSC_6302.jpg

(Orange Monti is looking much more colorful now.)

Actinics -

DSC_6556.jpg

DSC_6547.jpg

DSC_6529.jpg

DSC_6534.jpg

-Brooks-

CLEAN UP CREW GETS HERE TOMORROW! ^_^

Working quite well might I add. I should probably fix the current going through the reflector though. Dunno how that happened. Anyways, all of my corals are encrusting pretty fast now. ^_^

Thanks again for the great system/price, Dave!

-Brooks-

Hey guys. Some new pictures of the new corals I got and a semi-FTS.

New corals are:

Cranberry Milli

Pink Jade (I think, but it's some type of Jade).

Pics were taken today.

The cleanup crew is destroying all this algae growth I had.

DSC_6572.jpg

DSC_6575.jpg

DSC_6576.jpg

DSC_6585.jpg

DSC_6566.jpg

Thanks to Chark for the new corals. He's got one heck of a tank with a HUGE variety of SPS.

-Brooks-

Got a new bulb for my MH... 14k SPS bulb. Colors aren't dramatically different from the XM 15k, but I can definitely see a difference in the neons from the corals.

Will post pictures as everything adjusts.

-Brooks-

Not much else in the tank; it's all centered right now! My next purchase (after I get everything growing right) is more LR for the left half of the tank. And you've got it! That's a Green Bird's Nest! It's doing EXTREMELY well. There are 11 tiny new branches that I see growing. Almost all of the branches are 1CM. ^_^:dribble::D

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Got some corals from one of my favorite tanks today!

-Blue/Green Stag

- Some sort of Red/Green Milli

-Roscoe's Blue Acro

Needless to say I'm 100% amazed with the colors, and size frags I got from him. Even got a mini-colony of the milli and stag!

Pictures will come as I put them in.

Here are the pictures!

New Milli - It has a green base, so I sort of have a feeling it could be the ORA Red Planet? IDK

DSC_7047.jpg

DSC_7062.jpg

DSC_7043.jpg

New Blue/Green Tort -

DSC_7041.jpg

DSC_7049.jpg

DSC_7046.jpg

New Roscoe's Blue -

DSC_7054.jpg

DSC_7042.jpg

FRS (Full Reef Shot xD) -

DSC_7048.jpg