Little_Reef's Blog

Brooks

Well, I've got some pictures of my Goniopora that are budding. Currently, there are 4 buds that are getting bigger and bigger! Hopefully, I can sell some of these so I can continue to buy more for my aquarium.

I will post pictures later of them!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the reef is coming along great! I've added a new Bird's Nest coral, and it's doing excellent. Thank you RCA for the amazing selection of corals.

I just did around 7 hours of work at our ranch cutting down Cedar tree's for $8 per hour. So I'm going to be making another stop by Aquatek or RCA VERY soon!

Now I'm going to try and find a job at one of the local pet stores. Hopefully one of the good LFS'.

The baby Gon's look like they're ready to come off any time now!

Let me know if you're interested in one. They're green and you can find a picture of the mother colony around here on some of the forums.

Heya, ARC! ;)

Alright, so today I added all new lighting. Upon purchasing the bulbs, they gave us 46' instead of 48'. We had to redo the canopy. Also, my dad thought it'd be nice if he added 1 yellow k6,700, however it doesn't look that great with the yellow spectrum. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and getting one more Actinic to bring out the neon colors a little bit more. So I will be going with 2 T5 46' Actinic, and 2 T5 46' k18,000 "Super Bright" bulbs. It seems as though everyone is adjusting to the new lighting well. Within 15 minutes of turning them on, my LTA opened up nearly to full size.

It's pretty late right now, so I'll upload some FTS tomorrow afternoon after I acquire the other Actinic.

I'm using the API Reef Kit to test my water parameters. I've gotten my Calcium back up to around 400 over the past 24 hours by doing a little drip system.

FTS tomorrow!!! :)

Goodnight ARC,

~Brooks~

Hey Brooks.......is the 3rd picture your sump/refugium? You need some macro algae and more rubble...... I think I got some of both in a tank where we use to house a peacock mantis shrimp. His tank is running still and there's some macro for your sump if you want it.

Woke up this morning to find my anemone laying dead, colorless, guts spilling out. And to my suprise, my tricolor acro fell directly in front of it. Before it died, it seemed to have left quite a nasty mark on the frag.. Hopefully it'll make it.

So, previously I posted that I had an anemone sting my Tri-color Acropora and my Orange Plate Coral (Montipora I believe.) Well, upon their recovery, I've noticed a nice amount of the zooanthellae coming back into the Acro, and a tiny bit coming back into the Plate.

Yesterday, I completed a 15% water change, and my parameters are the following:

Nitrate - 5 ppm

Nitrite - Undetectable

Ammonia - Undetectable

Phosphate - Undetectable

kH - 12 (214.8) ppm

Calcium - 480 ppm

Salinity - 1.026

Temperature - 80-82

Recently ran out of Mg test solution, so I'll have that posted ASAP.

Today, I added a new Purple Plasma; purchased from River City. (Thanks to them!)

A couple of days ago, I re-arranged the rock work in my tank. I found the way they were positioned before didn't really create a good looking or healthy SPS coral environment.

Pictures:

DSC_5620.jpg

New Coral ^

DSC_5629.jpg

DSC_5628.jpg

DSC_5625.jpg

DSC_5637.jpg

DSC_5636.jpg

P.S. - If you're wondering what the large mesh net is over the Goniopora, it's to keep the clowns out until I get another host anemone.

Finally added some blue and purple to my tank!

Picked up some Northern Lights, and a Blue Hairy Milli from J_G yesterday! Most helpful guy, beautiful tank, exceeded expectations on what I would receive for what I payed.

I got about 6" of each for $25. Granted I was only supposed to receive 3", he was kind enough to spare me a little extra!

Pictures are coming!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my metal halide! It's a 250w, and the bulb is a 15,000k XM. The colors are AMAZING! I've never seen such a pretty shade of purple, blue, and white. I've already seen longer polyp extension from every single one of my SPS corals. Though I don't have a fan for them, the temperature seems to stay at 86.

If I can figure out how to get the colors accurate on my D70 I'll upload some pictures!

Thanks so much to Mr. Dave! (dapettit) :) :) ^_^ B) B) B) :(:iiam::D :D

You gotta drop that temp! - Get it at least down to 84..

don't let it swing more than 2 degrees/day (high to low) though. But - drop it.

84 for long term is actually going to be unsafe.

(things metabolize way too fast at that temp, and an enclosed system will become metabolically unstable).

Check out the depths your corals live at in the wild, and then at those depths the Ocean is

much cooler than at the very surface, because almost all of the IR (heat) band of solar radiation

is filtered out as it passes through the first few feet (before it reaches any depth corals grow at).

This is where you get to learn electronics. Build a temp controller. maybe check out OZ REEF's plans under DIY,

or get a pre-built one from a commercial entity. But - consider this, if you don't know electronics, now is possibly the greatest time

for you to learn. GFI everything you do near that tank!

For cooling:

Bigger fans run way quieter, turn much slower and move much more air (and cost less to replace) than little ones.

A large fan slowly blowing air across the top of the tank water will do much more cooling per dollar electricity than

a chiller unit. - And you can hide the fan...you just got to get your carpentry skills up and build the canopy around the fan unit.

For instance - you seen those fans we use? They are Lasko 14 dollar window fans you can get at any Lowes/ Home Depot.

And they keep our system at a cool 80.5 all the time - even with the 800 watts of Halide and 120 watts T5's running only 11 inches off the water.

They are cheap to replace too - 14 dollars when they give out (about once every 1-1/2 yrs is average so far).

And so I think even one of these may lower your tank's temp - even on it's slowest setting. (they are 3 speed window fans).

The trick is - you got to hook them to some kind of temp controller or else they will run all the time and you don't want that either.

So the 1st item is to acquire some kind of temp controller. What you have it control is up to you.

If you need help building a canopy to support/hide a fan - I got the tools table saws, drills, etc.. Wood/screws is cheap. :(

--Robert