Help...ish

Robb in Austin

Robb, I think you might have hit it with the water being too clean for LPS. I have had troubles with LPS (except duncans/candy canes for some reason) in my 75 with a fuge attached. In my 24g (without a fuge) I had real good luck.

+1, I am curious about this concept as well. I've been guessing it has to do with nitrates but from what I've read over the years is any animal with zooanthellea will pull ammonia and nitrates out of the water to feed them.

Okay, so it's the nitrates and phos, not like just having detritus in there, which is what I pictured as dirty. Although that probably would contribute to the nitrates, etc. Also, the reference to having a dirty but not toxic tank, would that be toxic as in ammonia and nitrites, too much copper or things like that?

Just tryin to learn because I love my lps.

Rob,

I think the same as Kim. I run a high nutriant system. I can assure you it is not dirty. Corals live off of nutriants in the water. Form follows function. The tenacles on the LPS are for feeding purposes. I know of no coral that is 100% photosynthic. They all most feed. I have several large systems that can baby sit what you have.

Patrick

I think that you should look somewhere else.

Ideas? 'Cause I'm out of 'em.

I have no real ideas on the problem. I would recommend that you move your expensive corals to a safe haven.

Patrick

it sounds like all your params are in order from what Ive read. With that eliminated I'd have to lean towards a disease or parasite. Can you post some pics, close ups preferably? Also have you tried dipping some of the damaged pieces and inspecting the water/container for parasites?

it sounds like all your params are in order from what Ive read. With that eliminated I'd have to lean towards a disease or parasite. Can you post some pics, close ups preferably? Also have you tried dipping some of the damaged pieces and inspecting the water/container for parasites?

I second the dip. I would talk with Shawn at Fishey Business. He has many years of experience. You have to decide if you are dipping for a parasite or a disease. I suspect disease. Live aquaria has a troubleshooting section on marine invetebrae.

Patrick

I'll try to get some pics but there isn't much to discern from visual inspection.

The only thing I can dip in tonight is freshwater.

I did discuss with Shane. His initial thought was an alk problem. When it measured out at 10, that idea went away. He didn't sound very positive about the 'too clean water' theory.

Not that you need another opinion, but I think it's time to make some frags... pass at least one or two out to folks to hold for you just in case. Have you tried any other forums? I find the guys at DFWMAS to be pretty knowledgeable and helpful. Bigger pool of knowledge and all that...

We have some CoralRx you're welcome to borrow/use if you like.

• Like 1

Here is a pic of my misery.

post-371-0-96092000-1301542492_thumb.jpg

All of those dead heads weren't a week ago.

nice hammer! man what a bummer.....

I wish the cause was a little clearer, but I think its best to start focusing on a solution quickly. I had a similiar situation happen a couple months ago and dispite everything I did it wiped out my frogspawn. if you have iodine i would start dipping the entire piece and using a turkey baster to blow off the dead and dying tissue then place in a low light low flow area of your tank. It might be a good idea to cut off the dead branches also. I would repeat this every 2-3 days. you can also add vitamin C to your tank.

good luck

Interesting. I just noticed some new baby heads popping up below the newly dead ones.

I wonder if this die off I've seen is some type of self propagation method. Polyp bail out to

move the mother colony DNA around and new ones grow up to take the place of the former mother

ones.

Maybe I'll shoot an email to the Wet Web Media folks to see what they have to say.

Edit:

A few minutes of WWM research suggests allelopathy with zoos as a possible cause. Seems

plausible, due to an overall increase in zoa stocking since moving to the 75, but somewhat improbable

given running GFO/GAC at the same rate and media change as before. Think I'll just watch it for now.

And indeed, polyp bail out as a means of propagation does occur. Usually as a last ditch effort in response to

a environmental stressor.