RO/DI question

theresa

I bought a new RO/DI system and fixing to set it up under my kitchen sink. My question can you use the waste water on your yard? I would like have it set up to go directly outside of my house instead of down the drain. Will this help or hurt the grass? Thanks

Yep, it's not a problem. The waste water is more broken down than tap water thanks to the carbon blocks, but it's still not terribly concentrated stuff. It's still mostly water, and if you're on city water it's still way below the TDS of most well water systems.

Not that grass is so picky either.... As long as you're not using the water taken out for a water change on the lawn you should be fine. :)

The 3 main and most sensible uses for the wastewater that I have found are...

1) Route it to another ro/di system and end up having very little wastewater. I think I saw a diagram on RC for this type of setup.

2) Use it for laundry by routing it into their washing machine.

3) Fill a rain barrel and use it to water their lawns, plants, and gardens.

I'm sure there are some other creative uses out there. I've been just letting it go onto the lawn since I hooked mine up last month and the lawn beside my house is looking better than the front already. I have a huge veggie garden, so I'll be collecting it in a rain barrel to try to save on the water bill this summer and keep the veggies and fruit happy.

I just realized that I am transitioning from carrying buckets to and from my tank to carrying them to and from my garden... Now I'll have to automate that next summer...

I have used full strength salt water to irrigate certain trees several times a year. They actually need the calcium and magnesium. Good agriculture practice is to put a ton per acre per year of calcium sulfate. I use magnisium sulfate ( epsom salt) on all my vegatables, especiallly tomatoes. I don't know why you couldn't put the waste water straigt on the grass. As long as you spread it around and did not over do it.

Happy reefing,

Patrick