rolling blackouts

Will

They seem to only be lasting about an hour (well with Pedernales at least). I wasn't worried about it, especially since ours happened this morning before the lights even came on. I would just make sure all your pumps and what-not come back on.

I'm on Austin Energy and have had power a total of 1.5 hours since 5 a.m. Power will go out and stay out for 50 minutes to one hour and then come on for 10 minutes. I couldn't chance it so I went to Home Depot and bought a generator. I have an inside source at Ercot and it's going to get worse before it gets better so they say.

hmm. do battery backups come pre powered?

The one for my vortecs did not. It is on a constant trickle charge so I don't worry about it now.

I've yet to experience any power loss and when I do, I'm not worried as the Battery Backup will power my mp40 for up to 36 hours. I specifically have it powering the mp40 that is up high so it will agitate the surface of the water, which will help exchange oxygen into my tank.

Like Clint did, a generator is the best plan as it will power your whole tank but if your power goes off while you aren't home, the generator sitting in the garage is worthless. (And when it is 23 degrees outside, I'm not going out there to gas it up!!)

hmmmm I remember having this conversation before and a few people said that power outages were no big deal and I was being over cautious having a generator for the tank. I've only been without power for about 20-30 mins at a time so I haven't fired up the generator yet.

Here was the previous discussion, maybe there are some tips to help people

http://www.austinree...h__1#entry88994

I went home on my lunch break and switched all of my pumps over onto the generator. The model I have will run 6 hours on a tank of gas at 50% load, so a full tank of gas is plenty to keep it running until I get home this evening. I figure when I'm there I can manually transfer the load as needed, but while I'm away I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing that even if the power goes out my pumps will keep running without having to call home and explain which cords to move and where to plug them in.

Got hit this morning (Pedernales Electric) and power was off about 20 mins. News said that they're trying not to go more than 30, which should be fine. Two things I'm worried about are temp and water agitation, since the lights normally provide my heat in winter. They pull too much power to run on a UPS.

Harbor Freight has an 800w gas generator for $129, and there's a 20% coupon available online

oh man... good luck all.... that price for a generator is nice... might have to pick one up at some point although with being on the hospital powergrid I may get lucky more often then not... eeekkk love this cold weather though.. maybe TX should consider things like this when it comes to upgrading electical wires and such!!

We just got a notice here at work that ERCOT has announced an end to the emergency rotating blackouts.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. For the length of time the power is out it should not be problem. I'm at work, I can't do anything any.

Dave-

Just got the following email:

This is forwarded to you by the State of Texas State Operations Center (SOC).

Mid-Afternoon Update:

ROTATING OUTAGES DISCONTINUED BUT CONSERVATION STILL NEEDED

ERCOT has issued a notice that rotating outages are no longer needed at this time; however, there is a strong possibility that they will be required again this evening or tomorrow, depending on how quickly the disabled generation units can be returned to service.

Please note that some consumers are still out of power due to the winter storm conditions.

Energy conservation is still critical during peak demand hours this evening between 6 and 10 pm.

We will continue providing these updates when new information is available.

Noon Update:

CONSERVATION IS STILL CRITICAL AT THIS TIME

ERCOT is urging all consumers who can reduce their energy consumption to do so at this time. Severe weather has led to the loss of more than 50 generation units – more than 7,000 MW, and additional units are continuing to trip offline due to the extreme cold temperatures. ERCOT Grid Operations has asked the utilities/transmission providers to implement rotating outages until the load is reduced through conservation and restoration of generation units. Conservation is very critical at this time to reduce the load on the system.

Rotating outages are controlled, temporary interruptions of electrical service initiated by each utility when supplies of reserve power are exhausted. Without this safety valve, generators would overload and begin shutting down to avoid damage, risking a domino effect of a state-wide outage.

As of noon, 2000 MW of the rotating outages had been restored, and 2000 MW is remains under rotating outages.

One megawatt is roughly enough to power 200 homes in extreme temperatures.

hmmmm I remember having this conversation before and a few people said that power outages were no big deal and I was being over cautious having a generator for the tank. I've only been without power for about 20-30 mins at a time so I haven't fired up the generator yet.

Here was the previous discussion, maybe there are some tips to help people

http://www.austinree...h__1#entry88994

Yep and I was that ******* that argued against them, and again I was right.

I actually had 3 people calling me freaking out from this forum and a direct result of this thread this morning while I was at work. They were freaked and asked me if I was serious that I wouldn't be worried about a few hours of no electricity. I said not to worry and that I bet the power wouldn't be off for more than an hour. I haven't had anyone call me back to pay up, hey come to think of it, I have a few calls to make myself....

I stand by my argument.

Today in Egypt mass hysteria caused people to think that the police were coming in as plains clothes officers, several hundred people wounded because of that idea. Mass hysteria has a way of getting people caught up in the moment. Sometimes you just need to step back, take a calm look at things and relax.

How many of you called your Boss today to tell em you couldn't come to work today cause you have to babysit your tnak? Sissies. I'm fully engaged with a losing battle with Influenza but I made it to work today.

Anyways live in fear if you want........

im not worried, my power went off 3 times and it was fine. The wife said i still had 1" till the sump overflowed (so about 5 gallons of extra room). The bad thing is the reef keeper goes to 12am so the lightn schedule is off. As long as my temp is ok i could care less. Temp didnt go below 77 degrees, now if my power was off for 4-5 hrs and the temp got too low then YES i would worry. Other than the skimmer going crazy when it comes back on im ok. i need to get a overflow for my skimmer cup.