Selling Orchid Dottybacks!

Michael Rodriguez

!!ALL SOLD!!

Thumbs up everyone who purchased one!

Your supporting aqua-cultured marine prevents wild fish being caught through practices of chemical or dynamite explosions. Now you can look at your tank and know you made a difference!! :)

I hope everyone enjoys their fish. As always, if you have any questions about them, shoot me a PM

Thanks,

Mike

5343455529_8f87356991.jpg

Edited by Michael Rodriguez

Mostly due to the number of fish you have. Most folks don't buy 1 species in bulk, especially ORA goodies.

Not saying you are in violation, it's just close that's all. If it's a one time thing, no worries.

The problem is people coming in with retail quantities and prices and taking business away from our sponsors without ponying up as sponsors too.

The reason for the number of fish is when Orchid Dottybacks breed you end up with about !50 larvae!

I was thinking if two or more people wanted to get together they can get a deal! :)

I have 25 of them right now. I'm trying to see if I can help to keep people from buying wild caught fish.

How much does it cost to become a sponsor? Is there a link you could guide me to?

Would me being a sponsor allow me to sell fish I breed on this forum?

You can view sponsorship details here. The cost is $150 annually.

I agree with Robb that a one time offering is fine. If you plan to continue to breed and sell the fish on a more frequent basis, then yes you will need to be a sponsor.

BTW, I do applaud your efforts in reducing wild caught fish :)

Terrific, sounds fair. I will see how this listing goes and if I get a good response from it I will sign up to sell again!

Thank you very much

Mike :)

You can view sponsorship details here. The cost is $150 annually.

I agree with Robb that a one time offering is fine. If you plan to continue to breed and sell the fish on a more frequent basis, then yes you will need to be a sponsor.

BTW, I do applaud your efforts in reducing wild caught fish :cool:

I think people in the club should support people who breed and sell fish like this in a ethical matter. I don't think you should have to become a "sponsor" to sell some clutches of fish? This is not a full blown commercial operation. Breeding fish is normal part of the hobby for advanced aquarist. And this is a forum is about the hobby!...right?

And Michael, put me down for one of those beauties.

I think people in the club should support people who breed and sell fish like this in a ethical matter. I don't think you should have to become a "sponsor" to sell some clutches of fish? This is not a full blown commercial operation. Breeding fish is normal part of the hobby for advanced aquarist. And this is a forum is about the hobby!...right?

And Michael, put me down for one of those beauties.

I totally agree. If a person buys livestock at full retail price from an aquarium retailer (sponsor or not) and resells at any price (profit or loss) that should be acceptable

IMO. This is no different than going to AAF and buying a large coral colony and breaking it down and selling frags, no one seems to have a problem with that. I was warned when I put up some hermit crabs for sell and shouldn't have been. I paid full retail price for 1000 hermit crabs so that I could get them for a reasonable price and the hermits that I didn't need I offered for sale at the same price I paid for them, passing my bulk buy savings on to other members....kind of like a group buy, which no one objects too.

If a person has a commercial/wholesale account and is using the forum to resell livestock without being a sponsor I can see that being a problem, those people should be warned not us.

Cool fish BTW!

Nick,

You bring up a valid point. In Mike's initial post he didn't indicate that he was breeding them which is what raised the flag in my mind.

I agree that breeding fish is not necessarily the realm of a sponsor. This case is somewhat unique in that it hasn't happened in the past so we are in some uncharted territory.

I'll ask further discussion of sponsorship be discussed via PMs/email/privately.

We've had other members selling clownfish fry, so this seems ok to me. It's the same as people who successfully raise corals and sell frags. The only issue I have is people bulk-buying fish and/or corals and then reselling. That should require sponsorship.

Beautiful fish, and congrats on successfully raising them.

The only issue I have is people bulk-buying fish and/or corals and then reselling. That should require sponsorship.

I agree, but only if they make a profit.

That is some nice looking fish, is it as hard to raise as clownfish?

The only issue I have is people bulk-buying fish and/or corals and then reselling. That should require sponsorship.

I agree, but only if they make a profit.

That is some nice looking fish, is it as hard to raise as Clownfish?

They are a harder fish to raise than Clownfish. Clownfish are nice because they can eat Zoo-plankton type foods the size of baby brine shrimp after the first three days.

Dottybacks need a ton of attention and different types of food including Nannochloropsis phytoplankton and smaller zooplankton type creatures until they get through metamorphosis which happens when are usually around 30 days old. Expect to feed them 10+ times a day for good results.

In addition to that you have to have a constant supply of a small variety of phytoplankton roughly 10+ gallons to make sure you can feed the fish and the foods that the fish eat.

There are some great books on the subject of Orchid Dottyback raising and a lot of people, including me, have their own "secret recipe", on what works for them.

Thank you for your interest :)

Mike

Edited by Michael Rodriguez

They are a harder fish to raise than Clownfish. Clownfish are nice because they can eat Zoo-plankton type foods the size of baby brine shrimp after the first three days.

Dottybacks need a ton of attention and different types of food including Nannochloropsis phytoplankton and smaller zooplankton type creatures until they get through metamorphosis which happens when are usually around 30 days old. Expect to feed them 10+ times a day for good results.

In addition to that you have to have a constant supply of a small variety of phytoplankton roughly 10+ gallons to make sure you can feed the fish and the foods that the fish eat.

There are some great books on the subject of Orchid Dottyback raising and a lot of people, including me, have their own "secret recipe", on what works for them.

Thank you for your interest :)

Mike

Wow so you are losing money on these :D

• 1 month later...