55 Gal build

RobR

So I finally got my 55 gallon filled and running last night. Started it out with dead rock and now get to wait for it to cycle before adding livestock. Couple of questions though. Do you think the organics on the dead rock will be enough to start the cycle or should I add some food? I just filled it last night and plan on testing ammonia later today, although I doubt there will be any readings yet?. I would also like to add something to help the cycle along, does anyone have recommendations for bacteria, and should I add it now or wait until I start to see some ammonia? Will post some pics later. Thanks.

Thank you, that is what I was thinking of doing as well, but it does look like there is some organics on the rock so I did not want to overdo it. Did you any type of bacteria like TLC or stability?

Did some testing on my water, and it looks like the cycle is under way.... so far here is where it's at:

Ammonia- 2.0 ppm

Nitrite- between 0.25 and 0.50

Nitrate- 20 on API, 25 on tetra

PH- between 8.2 and 8.4

SG- 1.023- refractometer

temp- 77

all tests were done using API test kit.

Also been adding stability per instructions on the bottle. Should I do any water changes while the cycle is under way or just leave it until the ammonia and nitrite start to drop? Not running a skimmer yet, but should be soon. Thanks.

No water changes during the cycle. Once it's done, then a small one is in order, say 10-20%.

I'd also recommend tweaking your salinity closer to 1.026, although you're not far enough way for it to be a problem.

Also, once the cycle is over, don't add anything. Other than a tiny amount of fish food to keep the bacteria alive. You'll be surprised at

what will come out of the rock in terms of lifeforms. I'd recommend waiting, which will be difficult, at least a month before adding any animals be they fish, inverts, or corals.

Thanks Robb, yeah it would be nice to get some life in there, but I know that patience is the key to getting started right.

What is the best way to raise salinity? Just through evaporation and don't top off with any RO/DI?

Well, yes, that works. (I was a bit hesitant to post about the SG simply because evap will take care of it.) The other method would be to mix up your water change water at a slightly higher SG and let them average each other out. You'd have to take a reading of the DT water first obviously to know what you are starting with.

I can't say enough about Seachem's Stability.

I followed the directions for 2 weeks and then moved everything from my 75g into my new 135g. Haven't lost a thing and parameters are stable. I might also add that I started with all new "dead" rock, i.e., no liverock from my old tank.

Robb, I will def keep my eye on the SG of the DT as I move forward. Guess the next batch of SW needs to be mixed a little bit higher....

Pat, so it took about 2 weeks to fully cycle your tank with the "dead rock"? Glad to hear you had such good luck with the stability, hope my tank does too as I started with all dead rock as well.

• 4 weeks later...

So the tank has been running for a month now, and no livestock yet. No water changes have been done, and the params this morning were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate, and pH of 8.4 all done on API. SG was 1.023. So I am guessing that it is time to perform the first water change and the maybe add some livestock. In y'all's opinion should I do the water change then wait another week to add livestock? And then should I start with some CUC or fish? There has not been any diatom or algae bloom in the tank yet, so I am not sure if there would be food to support CUC? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, stopped by Aquatek today and picked up 5 turbos, 5 ceriths, and a couple of hermits. Finally got some life in the tank!! Prolly wait a week or so see where I'm at then maybe add the first fish....

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...