Whats a good dslr for the money.

Joseph9123

Man are you opening up a can of worms.

Go Nikon! Honestly Canon is a good product but requires a lot of post production work. The algorithm in the Nikon does a better job on the front end. Ask any of the sales people at "pro" camera shops. Check some of the photos in my gallery the most recent ones were done using my Nikon D80.

As far as kits go you'll get great prices but lousy lenses. Kit lenses aren't that great with either manufacturer.

The best advice I can offer is to actually hold the camera in your hand. It doesn't matter if the camera is $5000.00 or $100.00, if doesn't fell good in your hand then you won't use it.

I just checked out the the sony a55 dslr. I love this camera bc it was easy to use. I was all confused with all the option and change on the Nikon and Canon, bc i'm not a real photographer just want to step into it with a camera i can understand. I will look into the nikon 3100 I saw at best buy but was messing with the sony one too long and had to leave..lol

I would take the time to learn how to use either a Canon or a Nikon. Just based on lens availability I would go with one of the big 2. Also do some research on the digital capture. Nikon's new ones are great for low light photos with little to no noise. As a disclaimer I too am a Nikon guy. But really if you are looking to buy a DSLR you really should be ready to learn how to use it properly. Otherwise you are better off saving your money and buying a decent point and shoot. There are some really good how to videos all over the web to teach you the basics. Click my banner and you can find my photography blog. I am going over some of the basics there too.

omg... beautiful pics!!! I agree with everything you're saying. I look at all the option for the past three days and seeing all the option. With everything so far I'm still debating ,it's going to be a big purchase bc of next yr honeymoon in Paris. Thanks for all the info!!

Don't be too afraid of the entry level cameras from Nikon or canon. They are light years ahead of where you are and will, most likely, be good for you for years to come. Lenses are where you will want to spend your money anyways. And, as Dave and Chris mentioned, the kit lenses are good to start with but not always really good. You will want a true macro lens for really nice corals shots(warning; they are expensive) anyways.

As an example, I'm still using my D40 I purchased 2 years ago and haven't reached it's limits yet(except in low light situations which I don't really find myself too much anyways.) Do I _want_ a D90 or D7000? Yes. Do I really need it? No. Did I spend the same amount of money on two lenses that I did for the body plus two kit lenses to take great macros and general pics? Yes. Am I happy with the overall setup? Yup. And I bet most others would be satisfied with it too.

The other thing, to get really great photos, is it takes a really good computer behind the viewfinder first.

As an example, I'm still using my D40 I purchased 2 years ago and haven't reached it's limits yet(except in low light situations which I don't really find myself too much anyways.) Do I _want_ a D90 or D7000? Yes. Do I really need it? No. Did I spend the same amount of money on two lenses that I did for the body plus two kit lenses to take great macros and general pics? Yes. Am I happy with the overall setup? Yup. And I bet most others would be satisfied with it too.

The other thing, to get really great photos, is it takes a really good computer behind the viewfinder first.

I'd still be using the D40 I bought originally if it hadn't been for a mistake from Amazon.com that they refused to acknowledge.

I ordered an 18-200 VR lens and they sent me two...charging me for one. They arrived the same day, both with the same tracking number, both listed as "Box 1 of 1". blink.gif

I tried to return it the extra, but they were so confused they just let it go.

So I sold the extra lens and the D40 and bought the D90...and came out even. biggrin.gif

I'd still be using the D40 I bought originally if it hadn't been for a mistake from Amazon.com that they refused to acknowledge.

I ordered an 18-200 VR lens and they sent me two...charging me for one. They arrived the same day, both with the same tracking number, both listed as "Box 1 of 1". blink.gif

I tried to return it the extra, but they were so confused they just let it go.

So I sold the extra lens and the D40 and bought the D90...and came out even. biggrin.gif

:o

Dislike.

But good for you. ;)

Joseph,

I bought my Nikon because it was backwards compatible with my "old school" lenses. Canon however has changed it lens and not all a backwards compatible.

With that said you can always shoot in "Auto" until you get the bug to expand you knowledge. As you can see there is a lot of help here.

You might also check out Jake Doza'swork. He uses Canon equipment.

Dave-

PS: the January meeting will cover tank photography (shhhhh)

It's definitely worth mentioning that if you don't want to become well versed on all the different options and settings of the camera, and wind up relying on the auto settings and/or a kit lens for a chunk of time - you'd probably get better results for your money by going for a higher end point and shoot.

I really can never get over how many of my friends think they are above & beyond using/buying a nice point & shoot, and they MUST have a DSLR. A year later, many of them don't really have a terribly good grip on all their camera controls, and definitely don't have any lenses they're proud of :D Research a lot before you buy, and hook up with some friends to try your hand at absorbing & applying the knowledge first.

A lot of people really doubt the ability and quality of a NICE point & shoot (say Canon G10, Canon G11, or Canon S95), til they see what other people have produced, or get a whole weekend hands on with the thing. Spending $4XX and being more familiar with your camera is a much better situation than dropping $700-1000 on a camera body with 1-2 lenses and not being comfortable or in control - just food for thought.

• 4 months later...

18m - 135mm that goes on the 7d cannon. I'm taking some pics today after cleaning the tank ofcourse...lol it's that time of the month. I got getting an L series lines in 5 months when I'm good with all the settings and how to make it work . I feel like i'm in school again with all this reading and study time.

• 1 month later...