Mounting Monti's

sam dixon

The back glass up high seems to be a logical place to mount Monti's. I've attempted to super glue gel a frag mounted on a plastic cradle with a flat back. I've tried during a water change, by cleaning the glass and drying it with a paper towel then using the gel. It lasts a couple of days but the frag doesn't stick. Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks,

Sam Dixon

Not sure how to post and recieve answers.

So, I had an idea I have not tried.(disclaimer LOL) Maybe you could build a small shelf out of acrylic and temporarily attached to the glass. I think a tiny bit of super glue would work. After the monti has encrusted you could remove the shelf. Now I am thinking out loud, but you could prop it up with some live the rock until to takes hold. These things are what I would try.

So, I had an idea I have not tried.(disclaimer LOL) Maybe you could build a small shelf out of acrylic and temporarily attached to the glass. I think a tiny bit of super glue would work. After the monti has encrusted you could remove the shelf. Now I am thinking out loud, but you could prop it up with some live the rock until to takes hold. These things are what I would try.

Good ideas. What I don't understand is why if you have two clean dry surfaces the gel doesn't work. Probably something I'm doing that isn't just quite right. I also thought of mounting the Monti on a small glass cleaning magnet thingy . . . that way it would be relocateable, but how to stick something to the inside piece? Not having much luck with either the epoxy stuff, or the gel.

Thanks,

Sam

Good ideas. What I don't understand is why if you have two clean dry surfaces the gel doesn't work. Probably something I'm doing that isn't just quite right. I also thought of mounting the Monti on a small glass cleaning magnet thingy . . . that way it would be relocateable, but how to stick something to the inside piece? Not having much luck with either the epoxy stuff, or the gel.

Thanks,

Sam

The gel takes a while to set. So maybe you are putting the water back in before it gets hard. They make an accelerator that you can put on a surface before the Gel to make it set faster.

hmm all good ideas. Here is what I do. Get a few of those suction cups that come with algae feeders. Drill some holds in a porus live rock of choice. Cement sucktion cups on flattened surface of rock. Attach coral to rock. You now have a movable, glass sticking coral.

Nick