What do I do with it?

mcallahan

I got the biOrb that I won from the 3reef.com video contest and its A LOT bigger than I thought!

My original idea was to grow pods in it via ozarka's method, but this thing holds 8 gallons of water, so IMO, that's too much for a pod culture.

Here's what I can tell you about it: (pic is attached for reference)

1. I don't have a heater for it yet. Our house stays @ 77-76 degrees during the summer

2. There is no way to put a HOB filter on it since it is round. For that reason, it has a built-in filter pad. Under the pad I could put chemi-pure/purigen/carbon/GFO. Note: water is moved through the media via a bubbler not a water pump so I don't think I'll get tons of flow through the media, but I don't think that will be a problem.

3. Water is moved around via a bubble, not a power head. IMO, it'd look a little cheezy to have a reef tank w/a bubbler, but what the heck...this thing was free!

4. The light is a standard halogen light...nothing fancy. I can get an LED upgrade, but I'm not looking to spend money on it in the near future.

Here are my thoughts:

- go ahead with the pod culture. Yes, 8G is a lot of water for a pod culture, but maybe I could sell them?

- make a pico tank with a cool clown goby and pistol shrimp or something else cool.

- get a goldfish! (Even freshwater fish need some love!!)

Sooo...what do you think I should do with it?

post-632-056670500 1276365842_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there was a website i was looking at a while back cause i wanted to keep jellys and it had the same tank (i have a biorb as well) for like 250 dollars!!! sooo expensive! but they also had mini jellys that you had to buy (3 minimum) for like 10$ ea, but it looks like it would be an interesting jelly tank because there is no flat surfaces for them to stick to.

Blue ring octo tank of death.

After setting up my octo tanks, Prof bought a really nice acrylic globe (about 2' diameter) to build into an octo tank,to bad he didn't know about that one.

Nice thing about using it for a dwarf octo is that you can still grow out your yellow paly's in it.

One rock.

One pom-pom crab.

Three sexy shrimp.

Clump of dragons-breath.

Done!

Or make it fresh, throw in a few shrimp (amano, or similar) and a pair of thread-fin Rainbows ?

Don't forget, a tiny fw tank can have cool inhabitants too :punk:

sulawesi-shrimp.jpg

I like Rangoon's ideas FW does offer some very cool nano options with a lot less stress trying to get it cycled and regulated.

Variety is good.

Rosy barbs and Galaxy Rasboras with a few small shrimps...

Aquatek has a great little FW nano with live plants, small rocks & bubbler.