How clean is your sandbed?

pbnj

I got tired of looking at my dirty sandbed, so I started siphoning it out today. I plan out removing it all over the next few weeks and replacing it with a very shallow, new sandbed (just enough to cover the bottom).

Mind you, my original sandbed was only about 1 1/2 inches deep, but look at this disgusting mess.....

post-727-097335400 1275785021_thumb.jpg

My mixed sand/CC bed has always looked kinda grungy. Sand sifting snails and a big conch have helped a little bit. Ive considered a cucumber but I'm afraid of it nuking my tank.

I'm starting to see the logic behind a bare bottom tank.

My mixed sand/CC bed has always looked kinda grungy. Sand sifting snails and a big conch have helped a little bit. Ive considered a cucumber but I'm afraid of it nuking my tank.

I'm starting to see the logic behind a bare bottom tank.

I still have a black cucumber available for sale/trade. Had for since August of last year.

I will be removing the sandbed from my torn down tank soon who knows what it will look like... ewwwww its amazing what we think is clean to our eyes in fact isnt once we stir it up and move it...

That's why I prefer a thin sand bed, just enough for looks and to set the rocks on. That's clean compared to what I've seen moving tanks that have been undisturbed for years.

'

My sand bed is spotless. I use to have a K2 and k3 and that did a good job, then i switched to a wave box and now i have flow every direction. I also have some nassarius snails that stir it up pretty well.

My sand bed is spotless. I use to have a K2 and k3 and that did a good job, then i switched to a wave box and now i have flow every direction. I also have some nassarius snails that stir it up pretty well.

In my 75g, I had 3 Koralia's (two 4's and a 3), a full-sized Tunze Wavebox, plus the return from my Mag18. My sand looked decent after waterchanges, but looks can be deceiving.

In my 75g, I had 3 Koralia's (two 4's and a 3), a full-sized Tunze Wavebox, plus the return from my Mag18. My sand looked decent after waterchanges, but looks can be deceiving.

Please explain! So I can see if i am being deceived. Lol How often do you do water changes because i do it weekly. I would like to know what you look for to determine if something is wrong with your sand bed. My wave box has been running for a full week with out any power heads and i have not had a build up of anything. I will continue to watch closely though. I will post a video so you will be able to look and tell me if i will have any troubles ahead.

Please explain! So I can see if i am being deceived. Lol How often do you do water changes because i do it weekly. I would like to know what you look for to determine if something is wrong with your sand bed. My wave box has been running for a full week with out any power heads and i have not had a build up of anything. I will continue to watch closely though. I will post a video so you will be able to look and tell me if i will have any troubles ahead.

The best way to guage how dirty the sandbed is would be to stir-up a very small section. If you see a milky/cloudy bunch of water rise from the sandbed, it would look like my picture above if you were to remove it.

I would stir-up little sections during waterchanges thinking I was keeping it clean, but really, you can see how filthy it really was.

I think mine would be pretty clean then. Because i stir it up when i do water changes and i dont see any brown cloudyness. I think its because i cleeaned the sand bed three times before i added it to the new tank. Trying to get all snail and crab shells out from my previous tank. I also have more mechanical filtration than most. I run two canister filters on my system. One is rated for a 150g and the other is for a 75g and i clean them weekly. Im posting a video of the wave maker so you can check out the sand bed.  its constantly being push by the current and no cloudyness.(even when i first put it in there) Let me know what you think. <br><br><br><br>

<br><br><a href="
" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="external"><br></a>

Mine is so-so on the "hidden dirt"... but I have problems with coraline actually growing on the sand and turning it purply/red (and no, it is not cyno). My clown keeps a section clean, and I have two cukes that turn some over. I was hoping a rather large conch that I got from Keeper would help turn some over, but he just hides all the time. When I did my tank re-arranging this weekend I went looking for him and found him... still alive, but after a few hours he went right back underground.

pbnj, when cleaning the sand like you do aren't you losing your anerobic bacteria?

With all of the liverock I have in my tank, I'm not concerned about insufficient, beneficial bacteria. Besides, my sandbed wasn't deep enough to house any significant amounts of either aerobic or anaerobic bacteria.

I'm convinced this will be a good thing. That "waterchange" look has already lasted a lot longer than usual.

I think mine would be pretty clean then. Because i stir it up when i do water changes and i dont see any brown cloudyness. I think its because i cleeaned the sand bed three times before i added it to the new tank. Trying to get all snail and crab shells out from my previous tank. I also have more mechanical filtration than most. I run two canister filters on my system. One is rated for a 150g and the other is for a 75g and i clean them weekly. Im posting a video of the wave maker so you can check out the sand bed.  its constantly being push by the current and no cloudyness.(even when i first put it in there) Let me know what you think. <br><br><br><br>

<br><br><a href="

That sandbed is actually deeper than mine was.

I don't know how often or how much you feed, or even how long your tank has been set-up, but it's something to monitor as the months go on.

<br><br><a href="

That sandbed is actually deeper than mine was.

I don't know how often or how much you feed, or even how long your tank has been set-up, but it's something to monitor as the months go on.

I feed everyday but very little. This tank was converted from two 40g tanks about 1 month ago. Those tanks have been running since Nov 09.