Rod's Food

chrisfowler99

Anyone tried it? I have been hearing good things, but getting it around here is a real pain.

Cost for shipping looks to be more than the cost of a single package...meaning I either need to order a bunch or try to get a group buy together.

Closest dealer is in New Braunfels. Might actually be worth the drive, just to save on shipping. biggrin.gif

I think Don at Frags and More sells it as well. Wonder if he's coming to Austin anytime soon. bye.gif

Where at in New Braunfels? I frequent both there and south Austin. If you want maybe sometime I can get some and bring it into south Austin and you could pick it up from there. At least it would cut your drive in half. I am in Austin usually on a Thursday or Friday.

Where at in New Braunfels? I frequent both there and south Austin. If you want maybe sometime I can get some and bring it into south Austin and you could pick it up from there. At least it would cut your drive in half. I am in Austin usually on a Thursday or Friday.

According to the Rod's Food web page, Darby's Tropicals at 5514 I-35, New Braunfels, TX, 78132.

I might take you up on that. cool.gif

I'm interested. His ingrdiants sound very similar to the modified recipe I use for Eric Bornmann's fishy mix, plus a few good sound things I don't have access to.

Does anyone know how much it is?

Also, what form does it come in, frozen, dry, fresh?

Stephen

I'm interested. His ingrdiants sound very similar to the modified recipe I use for Eric Bornmann's fishy mix, plus a few good sound things I don't have access to.

Does anyone know how much it is?

Also, what form does it come in, frozen, dry, fresh?

Stephen

6oz is around $20 from what I see.

It's frozen, which is the reason for the high shipping cost. It has to be shipped overnight on ice.

According to the Rod's Food web page, Darby's Tropicals at 5514 I-35, New Braunfels, TX, 78132.

I might take you up on that. cool.gif

I actually stopped in at Darby's Tropicals today on my way back from SA.. I'd been seeing the place from the highway each time I passed and finally had a chance to stop.. their saltwater livestock selection was a little lacking (but he said he could try to get things if there was something in particular I was looking for), but their prices were pretty decent, their hardware and dry good selection was good, and their freshwater selection surprisingly good.

I picked up a couple of packages of Rod's original food from Premium aquatics when I was visiting relatives in Indianapolis. Great stuff and my fish and coral seem to really like it. I highly recommend it. I will be going back to Indy and can bring a bunch back (group buy) with "free shipping" if there is some interest then.

As long as we ordered $50 or more from reefs2go, we could get free shipping. Although from my initial calculations it appears to be about twice as expensive as what I make, I would be willing to try at least one package.

Stephen

Darbys really is a great shop. I used to go there back when I was freshwater and they are extremely helpful. Saltwater is a bit different. I know they don't carry much but they are a pretty small shop. I do know that if you are interested in something though they will help whatever way they can. They worked so hard finding me these very specific freshwater plants a few years back right after all of the hurricanes and everything was still so reasonably priced. I totally wouldn't mind giving them a little business.

Edited by mbender04