need help showing colors in photos

Whit

I need a little help... I have a Panasonic Lumix DSLR and every time I take a photo of our fish and corals, they seem flat, colorless almost... just kinda blue. How do I get my photos to look a little more true to color? Ive tried changing the settings and it doesnt seem to do anythign to help. Im up for any and allll suggestions!!

Thanks!

Attached is an example.... very colorless...

post-1380-12707517237322_thumb.jpg

You should be able to adjust the white balance as Andrew mentioned. On my old point & shoot, I placed a styrofoam plate under the light and balanced off that; worked like a charm. (For some reason, my D40 has perfect color balance under the tank. I've never adjusted it.)

You can also correct some of that with image editors on your computer. I took the above and ran the "auto white-balance" with GIMP and got this:

post-249-12707568273683_thumb.jpg

It didn't make a huge difference in this case, but did brighten up some of the colors.

If you have a white/gray 18%/black laminated or plastic color cards, put them in your tank and snap a few pics to get the "true" colors. Then you should be able to set custom white balance on your camera (see docs) with that, or use a tool after the fact to set white balance by using an eye dropper on the cards.

Changing the white balance helped a lot! Thank you! :) This is definately better, until I can get my new camera and have to figure out how to change the balance all over again! Thank goodness for instruction manuals!!

See new picture below

post-1380-12707743206248_thumb.jpg

Changing the white balance helped a lot!

You can also change over to shooting in RAW mode, instead of JPEG. This will allow you to set the white balance yourself, as needed (I often don't have to) once the pictures are extracted to your computer. I can't remember the last picture I didn't shoot in RAW :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I need a little help... I have a Panasonic Lumix DSLR and every time I take a photo of our fish and corals, they seem flat, colorless almost... just kinda blue. How do I get my photos to look a little more true to color? Ive tried changing the settings and it doesnt seem to do anythign to help. Im up for any and allll suggestions!!

Thanks!

Attached is an example.... very colorless...

I would recomend a good photo program also, I use Picasa. check out the difference.

23426_10150165211410532_589915531_11864755_1359868_n.jpg

ARCSeahorse.jpg

Edited by JAY-ROC

My camera also has a setting for aquarium photos and in that setting there is an option for red, or green. I think it focuses on those colors and draws the color out more or something I really dont know, but I keep mine on red and the pictures come out perfect.