need ASAP: Acrylic Rods

Crab Rangoon

Regal Plastics is the only place I could really think of to pick this sort of thing up, however when I called in about it I was reminded of their $15 minimum.. Since I don't need anywhere NEAR $15 of rods, it's really hard to justify it :) does anyone have some spare/extra lying around? Various lengths will do, as I'll just be hacking it down to size anyway, but I could really truly use at least one or two that have some good length to them.

Willing to buy, or can possibly trade something small??? I was planning on (hoping to) rig my rocks up on Saturday, so if all else fails, it looks like I'll be trying to scam them from Regal for less w/cash offer, or just bite the bullet and deal.

Alternatively, I'm obviously open to suggestions about sourcing them somewhere else :(

Thanks!

It might be worth it to drive over there and check their scrap bin. Not sure if they require a $15.00 min for the scrap bin.

Hey David,

..a phone call says they "never" have rods in their scrap - and that "yes, even scrap pieces have the $15 minimum" :) But I sure do wish!

Hmm... good info to know. What size rod are you looking for? I think I may have a peice out in the shed I used to repair my overflow. I think is' a 1/4 inch square rod. I can let you know this evening after work.

Hmm... good info to know. What size rod are you looking for? I think I may have a peice out in the shed I used to repair my overflow. I think is' a 1/4 inch square rod. I can let you know this evening after work.

You know, I'd just assumed that I'd be using 1/2" or so, but I was hoping to come into some .25, .50, and .75 just in case (as some of my rocks won't be able to have a .50" or larger hole drilled into them). If you find that you have some, and I find that I can find none, then maybe we can work it out :)

ask vwmike..he's south too!

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. I'll find him & PM him :(

why not try something like plastic clothes hangers, cut to size. Or you can also get some fiberglass rods (with reflectors) from Home Depot or Lowes. Just cut to size. They are just about as rigid, maybe more so, than the acrylic rods.

why not try something like plastic clothes hangers, cut to size. Or you can also get some fiberglass rods (with reflectors) from Home Depot or Lowes. Just cut to size. They are just about as rigid, maybe more so, than the acrylic rods.

:) you wouldn't believe it, but both these suggestions have come up on another forum, both within the past hour :D

Sadly, while the alternatives MIGHT work for joining some of my smaller rocks together, the main hurdle I'm focused on is my biggest rock, which is around 50+ lbs. With it's shape and weight, the ability to heat & bend the acrylic will be key for pulling this off with having as little rod exposed as possible. If I wind up lucking out and scoring an amount of the acrylic from another local, I'm focused on using it on the giant rock, and truly don't mind using an alternative for the remainder.

Hi all,

I wound up getting some after all, just in the nick of time too. Mike has a 6' length rod available, FWIW, and I will have whatever excess lengths of 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" (super heavy duty!) available on here when I'm done. If anyone needs some, just shoot me a PM and I'll see what I come up with once I'm done playing with the rocks this weekend.

Thanks all!