FAQ Time

Zarathustra2

With ARC getting bigger and thenumber of new members growing I wanted to start up a project where we could get a collection of the most frequently asked questions into a single posting to help people come up to speed on the general wisdom of our collective here. smile.gif

So I have two things that would be helpful in kicking this off. The first is volunteers to help write some of it. I'm happy to act as editor and plan on writing a good deal (especially the filtration section smile.gif) but would love some of our experts to wade in and write a section of thier own. For instance, I know very little about anenome's except for how to kill them off. I woiuld like to keep this written in a Question and answer format with maybe a overview paragraph or two for each section.

Secondly, I would love to see ideas for sections in the FAQ. I have a rough outline but did not want to lock it down without getting ideas from all of our users. So far I'm thinking something like...

1. Fitration
    1. Types of filtration
    2. Nitrogen Cycle
    3. Skimmers
    4. Biological - Live Rock/Sand
    5. Chemical
    6. Refugiums and DSBs
    7. Nuisance Algae
    8. [*]Lights

1. How much light do I need
      2. Types of lights
      3. Spectrum - 7200 through 20k
      4. Metal halides
      5. VHO
      6. T5s
      7. LEDs
      8. Power Compacts
      9. Power consumption

[*]Flow

1. How much flow
      2. Types of Flow
      3. Powerhead Placement
      4. Closed Loop Manifolds
      5. Wave Makers

[*]Plumbing[*]Livestock

1. Fish
        1. Reef safe vs. not reef safe
        2. Fish Disease

[*]Invertabrates[*]

1. Corals

[*]Anenome's

1. Stuff
                2. More stuff

[*]Corals

1. Soft

[*]LPS[*]SPS

So you see why this is becoming a large undertaking. Please PM me or post below if you want to volunteer or have any idea for good FAQ questions.

2. Stuff
                3. More stuff
            2. Stuff
            3. more stuff
        3. ICK
        4. Velvet
        5. Quarantine
    • Like 2

I think the idea is just to have a sticky of the top most asked questions so we can avoid having yet another "how should I place my powerheads" thread. Or at least have a place to link to when it does come up again. smile.gif

I love the ideas we are getting, I am editing the original post with changes as I go.

I can create a wiki type database that the community can populate. It will be a bit more meaningful than a sticky. Thoughts?

I love that idea. We could even take content from posts once they have reached a "conclusion" and copy it in. Let me know what i can do to help.

I like the wiki idea too. To be honest, I rarely use (or notice) sticky posts on forums. It is usually the last thing I browse through. I don't a lot of technical skill, but I do know my way around a computer and if there's anything I can help with, I'd like to.

Andrew is a speed demon.

The FAQ page is in "demo" mode right now at http://austinreefclub.com/page/FAQ At this time only premium members can access this page. I fully encourage everyone to reward Andrews hard work by putting in some of your own and writing up an article and posting it. I will be able to edit them and get them through final posting.

If we need more categories please post them here. Andrew needs to add them. If you request a category I do ask that you plan on adding an article to it.

I have a topic that a lot of new reefers will need to know about, I don't even know the anwser to.

Who to find the right lights for your tank. Like how to figure out the watage of the lights you put on your tank and if you need more or not.

Can we post articles by others if:

1. We get there consent

2. Give them credit.

Also, will links be posted here or in the link section. I have a buku of great link articles that I would like to share but don't want to look like a "link whore." :)

I can create a wiki type database that the community can populate. It will be a bit more meaningful than a sticky. Thoughts?

+1. Sticky posts are static and eventually become outdated. Wiki allows for updating with comprehensive, current information.

There are probably still sticky posts out there in forum-land that talk about how great undergravel filters and bioballs are for reef aquariums.

Edited by pbnj

Can we post articles by others if:

1. We get there consent

2. Give them credit.

Also, will links be posted here or in the link section. I have a buku of great link articles that I would like to share but don't want to look like a "link whore." :innocent:

Yes, please be sure to put a link in the reference field.

The Links Directory is more general. For example a link to Reef Central is ok, but not a link to reef central salt mix analysis.