I.D. maybe?

mbender04

So I just noticed this coming out on the rock with my pinks. They are tinie tiny but I tried to get a pic anyway. I really need a macro lens. Anyway if you can tell what it is from the photos I'm really curious. They have a ring of tentacles and the inside looks to be white and open. It's hard to see from the location they are in. If you click the pictures the image gets much bigger so you can see better

p.s. ignore the file name its not for sale. haha

post-1053-12687926714706_thumb.jpg

post-1053-12687927419877_thumb.jpg

post-1053-1268792805655_thumb.jpg

Edited by mbender04

Looks a lot like orange ball anemones to me. They are somewhat of a nuisance, but not too bad. I have them in my tank. Sometimes they interfere with coral/zoa growth, but most of the time they stay closed during the day and come out at night.

I've had the rock for about a month, maybe a little less. I got it from AquaDome from one of their newer shipments. Also they are flat against the rock. The one on top is actually flat against a part of rock that is curving up its not a soft base...if that makes sense

I can't tell from the picture. I'm gonna say it's not aptasia as, to me, they seem to have much thinner and straighter lashes/tentacles. It could be a mojano but it will eventually develop a stalk if it is. (Bill steps on small soapbox) In deference to nature, the ocean and our hobby I would ask that you not "Kill it if you're not sure what it is." (steps down) It should become more obvious if it is a bad thing well before it becomes particularly prone to spreading. Heck from that angle it almost looks like the tentacles of a LPS dendro and they sell for about $25/head. If it grows into an obvious nusance, like mojano then go ahead a get rid of it. "Just relax, before you bring out the ax." (I made that up :)

Bill