Hello from Harker Heights, TX

CenTEX46G

Hello, I am CenTex46G, new to ARC. I am pursuing keeping a Salt Water Aquarium. I have a 46G tank and had it cycling for about a month before I emplaced a live rock and a couple of Damsels in it. They have been doing well and from what I have read, I have been getting acceptable test results when I test my water twice a week. Is there any advice on when I should add more? Granted I am new and have had my tank for 1.5 months now, but I was interested in adding more live rocks and a couple more Damsels to get the Biofilter going. The goal is to get coral in there down the road and some more exotic fish (should I not kill these Damsels after time.

CenTex46G

You could add more rocks and if you do try adding the amount you want at one time because each time you do your water will start to cycle all over again. I would not add any more damels if I were you because sometime their will not get along with other fish when you are ready to add more.

Edited by JBoy251

I'll second the evils of damsels. I know you got a yellowtail, what was the other damsel you got? Yea... I was checking out your fish. ;) The yellowtails are cute when they are little but they will get mean eventually. I pulled an almost 4" yellowtail out of my tank and had to break down over 100lbs of rock to catch it. Stupid evil fish. Stupid me for not getting a fish trap.

That said, if you want to keep an aggressive fish tank then go for it with the damsels. I had the yellowtail, 2 big sgt majors (damsels), 4 huge orbicular cardinals and an 18" snowflake eel. It was very much an agressive/predator tank but everyone got along and they were all pretty reef safe. It really just depends on what you want and what you like. I didn't want those fish because I couldn't add any pretty new ones so I rehomed them all.

When you get confident that you won't kill fish, catch the damsels <if you don't want them> and take them to River City Aquatics in Austin. They will give you a little store credit for them and you can put it towards a nicer fish. I really like the folks at RCA.

Here's something a little nicer than typical damsels but hardy and low cost (so it's less painful if it dies):

http://www.liveaquar...+115&pcatid=115

I was gifted with a couple blue/green chromis and I think they are very pretty fish. Not exotic, but they have a subtle beauty.

If you like clowns, they are typically tough little boogers. Some people don't like them. They can cop attitues. Mine bites me when I stick my hand too close to the hairy mushrooms she's hosting in but she's so darn cute I don't mind. Research on the clowns, some species are more agressive than others.

I'm sure there are other good starter fish that you can put in your tank and leave in without worry about having to pull them later. Just read up on any fish you want to buy before you get it.

Oh, I'm pretty sure if you buy fully cured rock, especially out of a running tank you won't throw yourself into a new cycle. I've added a few decent sized rocks to my tank directly from other tanks with no problems. If you buy uncured rock you will recycle your tank.

Liz

Welcome! Second on what everyone says about damsels. I assume that you eventually want to have a fish and coral tank? Damsels will greatly limit your options of what fish to get later.

My only concern was you mentioned a Biofilter. Are you talking about a bio-wheel or some such device? Generally those just act as a trap for all the bad things that build up in a reef tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome. Damsels are essentially bullet proof. If you find a way to kill them other than throwing them on the floor or in the freezer, please share. I am a fan of damsels. I have a Starckii Damsel and love him.

Do you have any pictures of your tank? We love pictures.

Welcome!

If you are using the damsel to cycle the tank I would strongly suggest you take it out. Instead use a piece of gulf shrimp to start the cycle. Once the shrimp turns white take it out.

If you got the damsel because you like it then forget everything I just said. However they are very mean and aggressive fish.