New Version of my Tank

Rjohn

I know yall got tired of me whining about how ugly my tank was. I appreciate that no one told me to get off the board. Here was my tank for John Baloney's Ugly tank contest:

post-795-12660115266564_thumb.jpg

post-795-12660115678601_thumb.jpg

post-795-12660115705987_thumb.jpg

Marc Callahan finally got so tired of hearing me that he offered to come take a look and see if my setup could be tweaked to get it back in a more reasonable condition. He suggested a phosphate reactor using first phosphate sponge and then GFO, and a new skimmer. I added those and my problem algae started dying. I did the "3 days of darkness" with a twist. I shrouded the tank with beach towels to further reduce the light. That worked wonders. My tank looks like new again.

post-795-12660121515391_thumb.jpg

post-795-12660121571102_thumb.jpg

Marc, I really appreciate the time you took to help me get back to where I can be proud of my tank again. Thank you.

I have a new sump to put in and that should do it for a while. I am still gathering pieces and parts for that exercise. Then hopefully, it will stabilize and I can just enjoy it, as long as I keep to the maintenance schedule.

ya that does look alot better, in the future you could also try Marine SAT, its not a chemical and doesnt hurt anything in the tank. Its a micro-bacteria that eats what the algae is using as its food source, therefore eliminating the HA and bubble algae. It worked for me in my old tank.

I'm really curious as to what all you did. My tank looked just like that while I was sick and in the hospital. I had surgery and was in the hospital for 2 weeks only to come home to a tank that was COVERED in hair algae and missing fish. I just traded all my fish and corals in and I'm gonna start over. I'm drying my rock out right now because I thought it was hopeless to try to even attempt to fix it...not to mention I'm not supposed to lift more than 10lbs right now so there goes water changes.

I saw you used a phosphate sponge and then GFO. Which one worked best and which one do you still use? Which skimmer did you switch from? And what else did you change to get it to start looking that way, manually picking stuff, scraping the walls, etc?

When my tank got so bad, I had stopped using a skimmer at all. I was using an algal scrubber. It was kind of a fad on here for a while. I did not have much success with mine. My algae and cyano were way out of control. I was so discouraged I was at the point of deciding to start completely over. Mark said he would be happy to come take a look and see if it was salvageable. I had scraped some of the hair algae off the back wall and some of the snails I had purchased seemed to start cleaning up what was left. However, the cyano outbreak continued unabated.

I had added an Auto Top Off system from Autohub.com several months ago which is the secret to a successful skimmer. Mark and Dave Petitt both encouraged me to buy the Vertex IN-100 skimmer which started getting out the dissolved wastes almost immediately. Mark sold me a phosphate reactor he didn't need anymore and threw in a little Kent phosphate sponge which I started using immediately. I changed to GFO (granulated ferric oxide) media in the reactor on Mark's advice. At this point, algae started dying off fairly rapidly.

I decided to do a '3 days of darkness'. I added a twist of my own in using beach towels to shroud the tank. I figured if a little dark was helpful then really really dark would be better. It worked. When I unveiled the tank 3 days later, it was almost pristine. I do have a few little patches of cyano that I hope to get rid of with another 3 days of darkness.

Does that help any?