Back yard aquarium? :)

mFrame

i like the idea of an outdoor aquarium, but in a neighborhood setting, its really hard to control the environment around you.  all you need is one neighbor throwing andro around.  some weed&feed from storm runoff, etc.

While cooling would be a big issue in the Texas summer, there is a thread on reef central where a guy has a large frag tank in his back yard in California. He says rain and birds are not an issue, but you would have to be careful not to get fertilizer or anything in there.

Evaporative cooling will keep the temp at the average daily low temp which will be in the range for corals.  A really big RO working in reverse to remove fresh water and dumping brine back into the system would deal with rain.  And if you have to budget for something that size I'd think you could afford enough acreage your neighbors stupidity would be mitigated.  So who needs some help setting one up?!  :D

10 minutes ago, Timfish said:

Evaporative cooling will keep the temp at the average daily low temp which will be in the range for corals.  A really big RO working in reverse to remove fresh water and dumping brine back into the system would deal with rain.  And if you have to budget for something that size I'd think you could afford enough acreage your neighbors stupidity would be mitigated.  So who needs some help setting one up?!  :D

find me some land, then maybe :)  If i went this big... i'd actually make the center a viewing "pod"  imagine having glass all around you, and you step into it.  essentially, the fish have an aquarium of you.  would be so cool.

Archived