FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Bought this one a while back from Ty, an old school cheap frag but really nice. What is the name of it again Ty? i forgot . Thanks
ffc3f1f00badfa8ac93c681d47d9a043.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know but I want it! [emoji12]

Its amazing how different some corals can look in other tanks.

My beat guess is my FarmerTy Ectoplasm but Jay did buy it probably 2-3 years ago and my stock has changed a bit since then.

Here's a frag of it sitting in my frag rack right now.

82e7d8b1e9d498b6cbdb6bc507aace87.jpg
It kind of looks like vivid's Northern Lights but I'm sure Ty knows
Never had it but I did have the Skittles Granulosa. But that doesn't look like my old Skittles that I lost in the move.
54fc7eac1ec39c591f6343bd117c10cd.jpg

There should be a virtual tour app for tanks.... Allow us to rotate 360 degrees around each coral.... when my cursor hovers over an item I get a description and price. Updated snapshots every 24 hrs with the ability to see time lapsed growth....

Wouldn't that be a sick selling tool?

Or is that called National Geographic?

• Like 1

There should be a virtual tour app for tanks.... Allow us to rotate 360 degrees around each coral.... when my cursor hovers over an item I get a description and price. Updated snapshots every 24 hrs with the ability to see time lapsed growth....

Wouldn't that be a sick selling tool?

Or is that called National Geographic?

This just in, Ty is looking for an intern to take 360 photos of each coral and take snaps of my corals every 24 hrs. Job doesn't pay but you get full access to stare as long as you like at the corals and fish.

I've always loved the pearl berry and the pink lemonade, i could never get either to color up right.  
Yeah, Pearlberry is a pain. It'll look awful until its super happy. Even fragging it causes it to ugly up a bit and then colors back up.

Guess what's in the mail?

I'll give you a hint... Starts with alka... Ends with tronic. [emoji16]

After roughly calculating the amount of money I have in coral livestock, it was a no-brainer to get one as insurance. Now I can monitor my alk levels remotely every 2 hours if I wanted... No, I'm not doing that interval, probably once every 2 days will suffice.f87d6ca08f60f089971cef9ec919fc20.jpg

• Like 1

I just read an article on Reef to Reef about the ridiculously loud noise that thing makes. So loud that he can’t run it at night. They have something to fix the noise, but the guy said it’s expensive like the alktronic. Have you turned it on yet?

He added to the post... it’s a software update that can fix the noise. Whew! Looks like y’all won’t have to be up all night to keep the corals alive!

• Like 1

I just read an article on Reef to Reef about the ridiculously loud noise that thing makes. So loud that he can’t run it at night. They have something to fix the noise, but the guy said it’s expensive like the alktronic. Have you turned it on yet?

In version 2 which I bought, the noise issue has been remedied. They also sell a kit to fix that for those who have the first version.
  • Like 1

I think I’m waiting for the Neptune checker.

Some reasons I'm not:

1) Release date keeps getting pushed back over and over now
2) I don't necessarily need to monitor Ca or Mg on any frequency more than once a quarter
3) It uses only one pump so there will be a lot of flushing involved as well as back and forth on the pump. I see myself replacing that pump often. The alkatronic has 4 pumps
4) You have to have the newer Apex for it to run. I only have the classic so that's another cost.
5) Purely speculative but Neptune is all about the money right now. I'm going to guess they'll sell the units at a reasonable price compared to other alk controllers on the market but then kill you with reagent prices. The price for a 4L bottle of the alkatronic reagent is $110, which equates to 2 tests/day for a year. For my potential 1 test/2 days, that's a 4 year supply right there.

The most important reason though is this is available now and I'm feeling a bit naked with protection for alk swings that can kill my tank. If the Neptune one turns out to be a great product and not too costly, I can always sell this one and buy the Neptune one. I just need something now while we all wait for it to come out.

Doesn't the Seneye monitor Alk as well? i have one sitting here waiting to be added to the tank, but really i bought it for the cycle not for anything else. i want to manage the ammonia closely. 
It does not sadly.

2 minutes ago, jolt said:

Please do keep us updated on your alkatronic.  I assume you will manually test for a while until you trust the results ...  I'd really like to hear how that goes

Yeah no doubt, id like to see how accurate it becomes. Stupid technology now i want one!  . 

well that sucks, i guess for 200 bucks you cant ask for much lol. i forgot how expensive this hobby can get very quickly. 
No fooling... I got expensive corals and now I have to buy expensive things to help not lose expensive corals... Oiy!

Some reasons I'm not:

1) Release date keeps getting pushed back over and over now
2) I don't necessarily need to monitor Ca or Mg on any frequency more than once a quarter
3) It uses only one pump so there will be a lot of flushing involved as well as back and forth on the pump. I see myself replacing that pump often. The alkatronic has 4 pumps
4) You have to have the newer Apex for it to run. I only have the classic so that's another cost.
5) Purely speculative but Neptune is all about the money right now. I'm going to guess they'll sell the units at a reasonable price compared to other alk controllers on the market but then kill you with reagent prices. The price for a 4L bottle of the alkatronic reagent is $110, which equates to 2 tests/day for a year. For my potential 1 test/2 days, that's a 4 year supply right there.

The most important reason though is this is available now and I'm feeling a bit naked with protection for alk swings that can kill my tank. If the Neptune one turns out to be a great product and not too costly, I can always sell this one and buy the Neptune one. I just need something now while we all wait for it to come out.

I forget that you need the new apex.... fail.

• Like 1

Please do keep us updated on your alkatronic.  I assume you will manually test for a while until you trust the results ...  I'd really like to hear how that goes
Oh absolutely. Its going to be in strictly monitor mode, which is really why I bought it. If life takes over and I don't have time to watch my tank as closely or I feel like trusting it, I'll give it control then.
Yeah no doubt, id like to see how accurate it becomes. Stupid technology now i want one!  . 
+/- 0.05 dKh is the precision on the unit. You might as well block my thread if you want to save money. I'm an enabler! [emoji13]
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Oh absolutely. Its going to be in strictly monitor mode, which is really why I bought it. If life takes over and I don't have time to watch my tank as closely or I feel like trusting it, I'll give it control then.+/- 0.05 dKh is the precision on the unit. You might as well block my thread if you want to save money. I'm an enabler! emoji13.png

Nah, i gotta put my money somewhere lol.. this has been a very expensive little 20gal, but the GF doesn't know anything about fish nor does she care, so she is not privy to the fact that I'm buying for a big upgrade later, if i decide that i want to. 

• Like 1