• Announcements

• JamesL

Can't Create A Post? Please Read.   01/18/2017

Finding that you can't create a post in a specific forum? Please see the membership changes that took effect in early 2012. You must be a Premium Member to post items in certain forums.
Timfish

Wooohoo!! (or how to max out your PAR meter)

14 posts in this topic

Half a dozen designs, two prototypes, and finally . . . 3000 PAR @ 14"   :cool:  (FYI, 3000 is as high as Apogee's PAR meter reads.  :lol:    )

The heatsink is 12" x 4" and has 3up LED stars with 16° lenses.   It's pulling about 250 watts (2 150 power supplies).   LED colors are 9 CW stars, 2 NW stars, 8 B & 7 RB stars.

20170209_212957.jpg20170209_203644.jpg

20161213_155437.jpg

1 person likes this

cool deal. Intentions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Isaac said:

niiiice! how much it cost you?

Roughly $750 for all the parts.  Even if someone went with more colors and channels (I'm only going with 2) and dimmable buck pucks it wouldn't be much more.

Here's where it's going.  It's one of three that will be lighting up this tank.  (The closer fixture in the image is the 2nd prototype to check PAR levels and possible heat issues.)  Aquascaping this one was fun as it will be seen from above and behind as well as the end and finally in front as you descend the stairs.

20170210_125656.jpg

And here's some PAR readings from in the tank:

Marco PAR Right Front 02-10-17.jpg

This is looking down from the top back:

Marco PAR Back Right 02-10-17 .jpg

2 people like this

very nice.... long long throw.  how long are those leds suppose to last?

They're all crees.  Whites are XPG2 and blues are XPE2.  The heatsink is running ~100° F and I've mounted thermostats on it to turn off the leds if the fans fail so I'd expect a typical life span.

Here's a video:

Love that setup, so cool to be able to look from above

Yeah, it was really fun figuring out aquascaping that would be seen not only from all directions but with the way light is refracted and reflected from very different angles besides what is typically seen from directly in front or from a side.  I was a bit apprehensive designing the lights.  They are a long way from the tank and offset from the front.  I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least, that I got such high PAR levels on the back side of the aquascaping.  I'll do another video after the handrail is done on the glass railings.  I've got a couple mangorves now on the island.

Nice!  So the goal was to have a setup with no visible pumps or lights, just the tank and critters?  And the solution was to ceiling-mount the lights a significant distance away?  That's awesome!  Looks like you had to engineer just the right angle to get the light in over the front glass of the tank. Is it warm when you walk through the light beams in front?

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, mFrame said:

. . .  just the right angle . . .

Requirement was I had to mount the lights flush in a balcony above and in front of the tank as your standing looking at the tank.  Lights are offset about 2' so it's roughly a 30° angle.  Atypically this makes the bottom front the area with the lowest PAR levels because of a shadow line caused by the front glass.

. . . Is it warm when you walk through the light beams in front?

Is it warm!?  It's d@mn HOT if I'm on a step stool working over the top!  :lol: