Wooohoo!! (or how to max out your PAR meter)

Timfish

Half a dozen designs, two prototypes, and finally . . . 3000 PAR @ 14"   :cool:  (FYI, 3000 is as high as Apogee's PAR meter reads.  :lol:    )

The heatsink is 12" x 4" and has 3up LED stars with 16° lenses.   It's pulling about 250 watts (2 150 power supplies).   LED colors are 9 CW stars, 2 NW stars, 8 B & 7 RB stars.

20170209_212957.jpg20170209_203644.jpg

20161213_155437.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Isaac said:

niiiice! how much it cost you?

Roughly $750 for all the parts.  Even if someone went with more colors and channels (I'm only going with 2) and dimmable buck pucks it wouldn't be much more.

Here's where it's going.  It's one of three that will be lighting up this tank.  (The closer fixture in the image is the 2nd prototype to check PAR levels and possible heat issues.)  Aquascaping this one was fun as it will be seen from above and behind as well as the end and finally in front as you descend the stairs.

20170210_125656.jpg

• Timfish changed the title to Wooohoo!! (or how to max out your PAR meter)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, it was really fun figuring out aquascaping that would be seen not only from all directions but with the way light is refracted and reflected from very different angles besides what is typically seen from directly in front or from a side.  I was a bit apprehensive designing the lights.  They are a long way from the tank and offset from the front.  I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least, that I got such high PAR levels on the back side of the aquascaping.  I'll do another video after the handrail is done on the glass railings.  I've got a couple mangorves now on the island.

Nice!  So the goal was to have a setup with no visible pumps or lights, just the tank and critters?  And the solution was to ceiling-mount the lights a significant distance away?  That's awesome!  Looks like you had to engineer just the right angle to get the light in over the front glass of the tank. Is it warm when you walk through the light beams in front?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mFrame said:

. . .  just the right angle . . .

Requirement was I had to mount the lights flush in a balcony above and in front of the tank as your standing looking at the tank.  Lights are offset about 2' so it's roughly a 30° angle.  Atypically this makes the bottom front the area with the lowest PAR levels because of a shadow line caused by the front glass.

. . . Is it warm when you walk through the light beams in front?

Is it warm!?  It's d@mn HOT if I'm on a step stool working over the top!  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank You!  I should but all the parts are off the shelf except the housing but that can easily be duplicated by any acrylic shop.  I should have a new cannon design using Cree XPL chip in a few weeks with build instructions that doesn't need any custom parts.  I'll also have PAR charts with a couple different lenses but with the 16° lenses available it can be hung way above a tank.   Here's a current video:

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/13/2017 at 8:26 AM, Timfish said:

Thank You!  I should but all the parts are off the shelf except the housing but that can easily be duplicated by any acrylic shop.  I should have a new cannon design using Cree XPL chip in a few weeks with build instructions that doesn't need any custom parts.  I'll also have PAR charts with a couple different lenses but with the 16° lenses available it can be hung way above a tank.

Sir: did you ever make that new cannon using the crees? I'm lazy and would like the parts list with a power supply. :)))))))))))))

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:15 AM, Dogfish said:

Sir: did you ever make that new cannon using the crees? I'm lazy and would like the parts list with a power supply. :)))))))))))))

Yes, I'm slow sometimes.  We've built 3 cannons using LED stars with the Cree XML2 white LEDs and XPE2 blues and royal blues.  2 of the three failed after roughly 8-10 months, one had an LED chip fry and the 2100ma driver on another failed.   The heat sink that fit's 4" PVC unions appears to be no longer available and a replacement that fits 4" unions hasn't been found yet.   The fixtures I built in this thread have been using just the XPG2 and XPE3 LEDs and are doing fine for 2 years now with no problems.

But here's a parts list with white XPG2 LEDs

Stars with XPG2 LEDs    https://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xlamp-xpg2-high-power-led

Stars with Cree XPE2 LEDs    https://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xlamp-xp-e2-color-high-power-led-star

Luxdrive Buckpucks   https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/buckpuck-dc-led-drivers

Carclo lenses   https://www.ledsupply.com/cree-xpg2-led-optics

There are a variety of heatsinks that can be used, just be sure it's designed to handle the wattage.

The Luxdrives will drive 6 LEDs in either parrellel or series but it's important to supply it with the correct DC voltage.  If the Luxdrive is supplied with just 12 vdc it can only run 3 LEDs in series so to run 6 LEDs they need to be in two parrellel strings of 3 wired in series.  If it has 24 vdc the LEDs can be run in a single string of 6. 

******  Be careful using different brands of buckpuck/drivers.  The Luxdrive I used here and on other projects can have the power supply ground tied to the led ground.  Other brands may be damaged doing this so be sure to research the requirements  *********

• Like 1