Back in business - 110g shallow build

stephaniegarcia

And I think you'd need 1 more MP40 just to round out the random flow. Not for more flow but for more variance in the flow.

I have 3, and 2 mp60s which is total overkill. But they're all running at different times, and at very low percentages. Helps them to run quiet and keep everything as random as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's on a 200g? That seems like a lot. I was going to go with 2 max. I really think it's going to depend on how I build the rockscapes as well. Worst case maybe 2- MP40's and one MP10 on the back?

I'm going to need another power bar for my Apex.

You won't need to plug the vortechs or anything else WXM controlled to the apex power bar. The WXM will take care of that. They just need power.

I bought the mp60s on a whim because they were a great deal... they don't go over 3%...... very quiet and lots of flow..

The mp40s don't go over 40% or so at the highest, so very quiet and lots of flow. I wouldn't worry about the mp10 really unless you notice a dead spot.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the mp60s on a whim because they were a great deal... they don't go over 3%...... very quiet and lots of flow..

That was always my biggest complaint with the vortechs. I almost got a MP60 for my 50 gallon a few years ago because I had an Mp40 and 2 MP10's, running at like 90% on NTM to get the flow I wanted. Flow mode makes a big difference I definitely found, the erratic modes like NTM and reef crest, need to run at a much higher level compared to plain wave modes.

You are absolutely correct. I totally forgot about the WXM for a minute:

What I have thus far that will be plugged in to it - T5 light, fuge light in the sump, heater, return pump (potentially - if I go with a VarioS pump - it can be plugged into something else and then I can use the V1/V2 input on the Apex controller) skimmer (potentially - see note about the return pump - it's APEX ready and a varioS-2 pump;)

So I guess I'll add one more MP40 (or a 60 if I find a great deal) to the mix. There are plenty of used ones floating around that are cheaper than new. I'll snag one at some point. Right now, my relative's living room is looking a little crowded. I just had spinal surgery, so can't lift the rocks and sand. I'll grab the dolly out of the garage tomorrow evening and move some stuff to the garage.

Current situation (plus one more box of rock behind the two pictured; plus toys that were given to kidlet for Christmas we have no room for until moving!)

d2Iw2lyl.jpg

welcome back! re: UPS... i'd stick w/ APC, pure sine is much better on equip than modified sine. I bought a cyberpower once, it died (like IT died, not just the battery). the apc's i have, only have to replace batteries every couple years. chassis/guts are solid. On my system I have an APC SmartUPS 2200 w/ network card. so it emails me when it wants a new battery :) discount electronics sometimes has em (w/o battery), but i've had the best luck on ebay last couple years. cheaper to buy an empty one and buy the batts separately.

P.S. as soon as I get this one established, finish the front axle on me Jeep, and win the lottery - I'm doing another nano . The last one I had was THE COOLEST thing.

The other thing I think I really need to do is have an electrician come and add a dedicated circuit for the tank. Just thinking about everything that's going to be running, and it really just seems like a great idea. Any one have a good electrician that they recommend? I'll give them a buzz after I'm moved in and have the live rock going.

Speaking of moving - I am NOT looking forward to it

I used an electrician who is also a member of ARC to run my dedicated GFCI circuits. He did a great job. I will PM you his contact info.

P.S. as soon as I get this one established, finish the front axle on me Jeep, and win the lottery - I'm doing another nano . The last one I had was THE COOLEST thing.

The other thing I think I really need to do is have an electrician come and add a dedicated circuit for the tank. Just thinking about everything that's going to be running, and it really just seems like a great idea. Any one have a good electrician that they recommend? I'll give them a buzz after I'm moved in and have the live rock going.

I used an electrician who is also a member of ARC to run my dedicated GFCI circuits. He did a great job. I will PM you his contact info.

Can you send it to me also?

Can you send it to me also?

For $20 - payable to me - I'll send it to you :D

welcome back! re: UPS... i'd stick w/ APC, pure sine is much better on equip than modified sine. I bought a cyberpower once, it died (like IT died, not just the battery). the apc's i have, only have to replace batteries every couple years. chassis/guts are solid. On my system I have an APC SmartUPS 2200 w/ network card. so it emails me when it wants a new battery smile.png discount electronics sometimes has em (w/o battery), but i've had the best luck on ebay last couple years. cheaper to buy an empty one and buy the batts separately.

Can you send me a link to the model you purchased, please? There seem to be a few, and I cannot tell the difference when the all say APC and 2200 in the same listing.

welcome back! re: UPS... i'd stick w/ APC, pure sine is much better on equip than modified sine. I bought a cyberpower once, it died (like IT died, not just the battery). the apc's i have, only have to replace batteries every couple years. chassis/guts are solid. On my system I have an APC SmartUPS 2200 w/ network card. so it emails me when it wants a new battery smile.png discount electronics sometimes has em (w/o battery), but i've had the best luck on ebay last couple years. cheaper to buy an empty one and buy the batts separately.

Can you send me a link to the model you purchased, please? There seem to be a few, and I cannot tell the difference when the all say APC and 2200 in the same listing.

Older ones are grey/tan, newer ones are black... same guts :) They can look like any of these: http://bit.ly/2jjpMRP mine looks like this: http://bit.ly/2jjqm24 "2200" is a bit overkill, but i like that I have longer batterytime if the power goes out.

These are the ones I use personally, as well as about a dozen of them in my office for computers and VOIP phones. We mainly use the 1500's, but have also used the 1000's and 700's, run time is much shorter though. https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1500G/dp/B003Y24DEU/

Not going to last for days or anything, but they are reasonably cheap, work well, and easy to find replacement batteries for. Another good thing about the APC ones is they will tell you if there are any faults in your electrical wiring like open neutrals. If you have a computer nearby, you can connect with a USB and get more information on the UPS status and battery life etc.

once thing to remember... that heater will drain the UPS quick. you are better off setting up a relay that triggers the heater, and wire the heater bypassing the UPS. on my system i have 2 heaters... a smaller 300w which is on the UPS, and a 800w "backup" one which is a UPS bypass. this way you have longer "battery time" if needed. (backup only kicks in when outside temp is under 40, since my sump is in the garage)

once thing to remember... that heater will drain the UPS quick. you are better off setting up a relay that triggers the heater, and wire the heater bypassing the UPS. on my system i have 2 heaters... a smaller 300w which is on the UPS, and a 800w "backup" one which is a UPS bypass. this way you have longer "battery time" if needed. (backup only kicks in when outside temp is under 40, since my sump is in the garage)

Noted. I'm pretty handy - I was a helicopter mechanic before I went to the dark side and became a pilot. I can fix many things. But electrical stuff I stay away from. I might be calling upon you when I get to this point for a rough diagram of sorts and instructions for wiring up the relay with the heater. The most extensive things I do with wires are replacing outlets and wiring up ceiling fans.

Saw someone selling used water tanks on a Houston Reef Club page on Facebook. I'm picking up my Apex unit from the moderator of the club/site - so asked the guy selling the tanks if he would hold them if I send him money until I get up there when I snag the apex. 55 gallons each, already have bulkheads. 18x18x44 so a great choice for space saving. Since I know the dimensions, I can also build the stand for them and have it ready. I don't want this project to get stalled, and getting the RO unit up is my first priority. I anticipate moving in all the boxes the first weekend in Feb, and hopefully the few pieces of furniture I have plus the gun safe the second weekend. I'll be asking for water from an established tank, so if someone will be doing a water change around that time, I've got a couple 5 gallon jugs I'd love to bring by for the water you pull out.

2LjrZ7T.jpg

awesome find on the tanks! i do about 20-25g changes on fridays... just ping me if/when ya want it

Sweet! I'm picking up the big tub and a pump for my RO/DI from olaggie Thursday after work. I'll be in touch! If I can swing by Friday the 3rd of February, that would be ideal. It all just depends on closing, to be honest. Crossing fingers!

Picked up the doorknob 150g rubber trough (you know...that every one has had a turn with :D) from olaggie today along with a waveline dc12000 for cycling the rock and my RO/mixing setup. I am going to plumb it in to the salt mixing tank with a true union ball valve. That way I can take it off to loan it out or whatever (I plan on putting it on ARC's loaner list.) but can use it for QT, emergency holding tank etc. It's just me and my midget. I have nobody to answer to. I do what I want.

One MP40QD I purchased came in, along with the tunze universal 3155 osmolator. Next weekend I'll snag the Apex and the RO tanks. Once I know a closing date for sure, I will purchase the rest of what I need to get going (heater, salt etc.) so that it can go to the new house.

I also may have messed up closing on my house. I jacked up some forms for tax returns, so now we have to wait on those to come back from the IRS. It may delay closing a few days. I hope not. I have 125lbs of live rock, 140lbs of sand, the skimmer, pumps, trough, lights etc. all taking up space in an already cramped house. I'm READY TO GET OUT. Can't hire movers, can't start cycling stuff, can't start unpacking boxes. Can't drink right now.

New job has me slammed already. I came in right before my director is presenting something I have lots of experience with to higher ups, so I've been scrambling all week to get up to speed. I play with my kiddo in the afternoons, looks like weekends are going to be spend getting setup after moving in. As soon as I can, I'll start working from home one day per week which will help. Glad Pham is gone until the 11th of Feb (ish) so I have time to hire movers and get stuff in the garage before having to go get the tank out of his garage. Speaking of - I'll be begging for help for moving it. Disc replacement in my neck has me lifting limited weight (which I push the boundaries of on a daily basis.) I can offer pizza, beer and more than a few inappropriate remarks in return.

So - now that I have the doorknob trough (as it shall be called from here on,) and plan on setting it up the day I close - to bake the rocks with acid, or just cycle in the tank longer? I'm in absolutely no rush to get the main tank plumbed. I have time. But if I'm going to be battling things later on by not doing the acid bath, I'll do the acid bath and be done with it. I'd say F it and do it now, but I have that neck thing going on - and moving 125lbs of rock one at a time does not appeal to me. Nor does packing them all back up in boxes.

I did the acid bath on my rocks when I started my tank a few months ago. So far so good. I used the bottled bacteria to reseed and haven't seen any adverse effects. Let know if the door knob trough has another spin or two left after you finish up. Eventually I'm gonna move my tank to another room and may not have enough containers to hold 85 gallons of water plus rock and coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Picked up the doorknob 150g rubber trough (you know...that every one has had a turn with :D) from olaggie today along with a waveline dc12000 for cycling the rock and my RO/mixing setup. I am going to plumb it in to the salt mixing tank with a true union ball valve. That way I can take it off to loan it out or whatever (I plan on putting it on ARC's loaner list.) but can use it for QT, emergency holding tank etc. It's just me and my midget. I have nobody to answer to. I do what I want.

One MP40QD I purchased came in, along with the tunze universal 3155 osmolator. Next weekend I'll snag the Apex and the RO tanks. Once I know a closing date for sure, I will purchase the rest of what I need to get going (heater, salt etc.) so that it can go to the new house.

I also may have messed up closing on my house. I jacked up some forms for tax returns, so now we have to wait on those to come back from the IRS. It may delay closing a few days. I hope not. I have 125lbs of live rock, 140lbs of sand, the skimmer, pumps, trough, lights etc. all taking up space in an already cramped house. I'm READY TO GET OUT. Can't hire movers, can't start cycling stuff, can't start unpacking boxes. Can't drink right now.

New job has me slammed already. I came in right before my director is presenting something I have lots of experience with to higher ups, so I've been scrambling all week to get up to speed. I play with my kiddo in the afternoons, looks like weekends are going to be spend getting setup after moving in. As soon as I can, I'll start working from home one day per week which will help. Glad Pham is gone until the 11th of Feb (ish) so I have time to hire movers and get stuff in the garage before having to go get the tank out of his garage. Speaking of - I'll be begging for help for moving it. Disc replacement in my neck has me lifting limited weight (which I push the boundaries of on a daily basis.) I can offer pizza, beer and more than a few inappropriate remarks in return.

So - now that I have the doorknob trough (as it shall be called from here on,) and plan on setting it up the day I close - to bake the rocks with acid, or just cycle in the tank longer? I'm in absolutely no rush to get the main tank plumbed. I have time. But if I'm going to be battling things later on by not doing the acid bath, I'll do the acid bath and be done with it. I'd say F it and do it now, but I have that neck thing going on - and moving 125lbs of rock one at a time does not appeal to me. Nor does packing them all back up in boxes.

Hahaha my favorite was, I have no one to answer to, I do what I want. I think all of us can agree sometimes we wish our situation was the same ?

If its just dry rock that's mostly clean, I woukd look into using lanthanum chloride as an alternative. It'll remove bound phosphates in the rock, which is what you'll have issues with down the road if its bound with tons of phosphates and leaches them out in your tank over time. That's the downfall of a lot of tanks that get started with old live rock from someone breaking down their tank.

Its also a lot less messier and a lot safer than acid. Whatever is left externally on the rock will just decay and add to the cycling of the rocks when you get to that point.

I had a long turn with the doorknob tub. Glad its getting taken out for another turn again. It gets lonely I'm sure hanging out in Chris' garage for months without anything to do.

I'd say to start cycling the dry rock and see where your at phosphate wise before deciding to acid bath.

My dry shelf pieces were crazy high phosphate so I did acid bath them. Afterwards, I used the langthanum chloride to strip the water and I was gold.

I have extra acid and chloride if you need it. Just sitting in my garage.

Archived