Bobcat's 75gal First Reef Build

BobcatReefer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How about a little update....

Gone: Large Screaming Green Birdsnest, Neon Green Lone Star Leather, Peach Leather

Added:  Green Bali Slimer, Hawkins Echinata, Northern Lights, Purple Stylo, Fungia Plate, Orange Digitata (still in frag rack)

Notes:   Looks like the (second) Garf Bansai is taking the mort. Not exactly sure why - the other one didn't dig an Alk spike, but we've been pretty stable for a while now.  Palmer's Blue Mille had to take a trim as 2 branches were growing into the glass.  DAM Swamp Thing got the necrosis and I screwed around too long before saving it, so down to a little nub (it's just left/under the chalice on the frag rack side), but I think it will come back strong - was growing like a champ before Alk spike.  Got some new bulbs the other day and changed it up a bit - my fixture is 4 54w, 2 channel (blue/white).  B: Blue +, Purple +   W: Aquablue Special, Coral +.  Also put them in the correct channels this time - last time I had 1B/1W in each...I don't know why, but it was on purpose.  

New lighting:

be82234664d909914562cb0dc3b22899.jpg

Vid (sorry for no music to cover the gurgling - I don't know how to do that yet):

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I did a bigtime cleaning a couple of weeks back, including the return pump and replacing the silicone tubing from the return pump to the hard plumbing.  Both were in need.  Unintended consequence:  Too much flow!  Not bugging the corals, but can't get the overflow quiet at the right height in the display.  To get the gurgling eliminated, the water in the display is almost to the top of the tank, and the motion from the waves and the creep from the spray is no bueno, so I've been dealing w/ the noise, which is irritating.  Also, the creep in the sump/fuge area is terrible because of all the bubbles.  

My thought is to lower the holes in the drainpipe, and that will bring the water level in the display down as well.  Is my math correct on this?  Or should I pull the pipe and add more holes between/above the current ones?

2V84DQe.jpg 

Seems to have worked.  Cut about 1/4" off of each standpipe and was able to tune both overflows down to no bubbles/noise.

f283d7b2681f7568fedb4c6fdd059bf0.jpg

Now, let's diagnose my tank - let's hear from the peanut gallery!  Most everything in the tank is all kinds of happy...except 2 pieces.   Only thing I can think of was a ChemiClean treatment a month or so ago (complete w/ water change 48hrs later).  Same time span for both.

This was a Tyree Undata that had been looking really good, and on the upswing, over the past couple of months.  Within a week/10 days, he bleached out and is donezo (algae starting to try and grow on him).

9e678883c79b8cd7a6b1432618eb1587.jpg

Blue Digitata are supposed to be super hearty, no?  This guy was jamming along and then the bottom side of many branches started bleaching a bit, more and more polyps pulled in/disappeared, and now it's about 90% gone.

7c8544f240a4def97bb92a7320668513.jpg

Red Digi directly below the blue, happy as all get out.

6c036cb881d2d1a02cfe8c9efc8c7c9d.jpg

Had a touch of STN on this Rainbow Stylo, so got some superglue on it w/o taking it out of the tank...hopefully that works.

2f8554913f368365ca4584ed8980a7fa.jpg

Garf Bonsai looks happy, even if slow growing...

ee6f9137b524c69c3a348533b3812dbd.jpg

Nice little surprise, these 2 spots of Superman Montipora that I thought had completely died (removed the frag months ago!):

85381b7363c095159cd51028ee689410.jpg

This Purple Stylo is fixin' to go bonkers:

d820d07ab9cabea1d10a864056c059e8.jpg

Rainbow shroom finally split in two:

7172cb9b20d5919d57f51f0e517855bd.jpg

Not sure what this is, but have had it almost as long as the tank has been going.  Never grew a bit in the 2 other spots I had it, but it seems to like this placement.  Want to see it grow out into the mouth of the cave it's under - will look awesome!

0dc296055a4951b86accee820ca73755.jpg

Alk and Cal have been pretty stable over the last couple of months.

pVTPRmc.png

18 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

. . .Now, let's diagnose my tank - let's hear from the peanut gallery!  Most everything in the tank is all kinds of happy...except 2 pieces.   Only thing I can think of was a ChemiClean treatment a month or so ago (complete w/ water change 48hrs later).  Same time span for both.

This was a Tyree Undata that had been looking really good, and on the upswing, over the past couple of months.  Within a week/10 days, he bleached out and is donezo (algae starting to try and grow on him).

9e678883c79b8cd7a6b1432618eb1587.jpg

Blue Digitata are supposed to be super hearty, no?  This guy was jamming along and then the bottom side of many branches started bleaching a bit, more and more polyps pulled in/disappeared, and now it's about 90% gone.

7c8544f240a4def97bb92a7320668513.jpg

Red Digi directly below the blue, happy as all get out.

6c036cb881d2d1a02cfe8c9efc8c7c9d.jpg

Had a touch of STN on this Rainbow Stylo, so got some superglue on it w/o taking it out of the tank...hopefully that works.

2f8554913f368365ca4584ed8980a7fa.jpg

This is a major frustration I've run into over the years.    The more I dig into the science the more complicated it gets.  Each coral species and genotype can have subtle differences in their photobiology and nutrition is a factor.   So one question is has something caused a subtle shift in how those two corals photobiology?   I seriously doubt the chemiclean had any direct effect, I can't remember where I heard this first but commonality is not causality, but it does bring up the question of a shift in the microbial processes.  We know from Matz's research at UT the different genotypes of a given species can have widely different immune systems and responses to changes in bacterial populations.   I can't say how probable but a possible explanation to what you're seeing is different responses to a combination of changes weeks ago.   It could easily be two different issues, a small injury to the Undata that caused an infection, the purple digitata growing too fast for the amount of nutrients it could get from the water.  I'm inclined to think the Rainbow Stylo just wasn't getting enough light on the underside, this is a concern as an infection can get started though where the polyps have died so super gluing it is prudent.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I saw in your parameters was what I would consider a pretty big alk swing back in december.  It could be that stressed things out and then other factors that normally wouldn't come into play caused more issues on weakened corals?  Are you sure your nutrients are high enough to keep corals growing?  Change anything with your lights?  Maybe need to change RODI media?

That's the only thing I can really point to as well, and I'm not doing a great job of keeping the Alk tight, but I really don't have the tools/time to do a better job.  I check every 3rd day and adjust the timer 1 or 2 min +/- to moderate it.  Ugh!  FRUSTRATING!

My nutrients are high enough to have had cyano for the last 6mos or so.  Did trade out bulbs a while back, but no fixture change.  RODI got new resin a while back, but that was straight out of the sealed BRS packet.  TDS shows 4 in, 1 out.

Well, I haven't figured it out yet, and it's getting worse.  The red digi is a goner.  Managed to salvage a couple of nubs from the rainbow stylo.  The purple stylo is going now and I'll have to get in and try and save what I can there.  
brickwall.gifbrickwall.gifbrickwall.gifbrickwall.gifbrickwall.gif

☹️☹️. There isn’t a sad button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro