200+ animal deaths at Portland Aquarium

etannert

And I respect that, and I wouldn't call it trivial, but not a long term impact.

But before we judge we should definitely be well informed. Right now is hearsay.

But the general population is not in the hobby, which means they're not involved in the culture of keeping fish.

How many times has anyone here has had someone over like family or friends, and they see the fish tank and start doing something that makes you want to scream like tapping on the glass or scaring the hell out of them.

That's how the general population see fish.

Fair enough. I still stand by my statement that the influence of ARC members isn't trivial.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the deal. Every stay at home mother or nanny or person trapped with a child under the age of 5 during the summer when it is over 100 outside is looking for a place to take that child that is air conditioned and their kid is welcome. There aren't that many places that fit the bill. The Austin Aquarium is going to be a haven for those mothers. They aren't going to care a bit what anyone says about the animal husbandry of the place. They are going to care that it is inside and safe for their kid.

This isn't some high end restaurant that is made or broken by word of mouth. If mom takes her screaming children there and they are happy for a few hours and leave her alone it is a goldmine for return customers.

That's a pretty low bar :)

Perhaps, but I'm thinking you may be over estimating how much the customers care about the husbandry. If the fish are cool and look pretty they could probably be filleting the fish in the back for the snack bar and most people wouldn't care.

Here's the deal. Every stay at home mother or nanny or person trapped with a child under the age of 5 during the summer when it is over 100 outside is looking for a place to take that child that is air conditioned and their kid is welcome. There aren't that many places that fit the bill. The Austin Aquarium is going to be a haven for those mothers. They aren't going to care a bit what anyone says about the animal husbandry of the place. They are going to care that it is inside and safe for their kid.

This isn't some high end restaurant that is made or broken by word of mouth. If mom takes her screaming children there and they are happy for a few hours and leave her alone it is a goldmine for return customers.

To say every stay at home mother/father/nanny will ignore animal abuse and neglect is a long shot.

Not every, but the vast majority will. They simply will not care. Especially since they are "just fish." Pull this stuff with cute fuzzy critters and you might get a strong response but the public won't really care about the fish.

Hell how many of us are appalled at what goes on at the big box pet stores? Yet the general public buys their fish there.

Not every, but the vast majority will. They simply will not care. Especially since they are "just fish." Pull this stuff with cute fuzzy critters and you might get a strong response but the public won't really care about the fish.

Hell how many of us are appalled at what goes on at the big box pet stores? Yet the general public buys their fish there.

Completely agree and would add that many people that know what goes on in big box stores still shop at them.

And that is why the people that can afford to and are educated about child slaves, forced labor, stolen break times, poor craftsmanship, etc, etc, etc, shop at Target or other stores.

That's like saying the vast majority of people will use the self checkouts because if they have an item they can check themselves out faster but who here likes to do that?

I see a lot of kids at LFS press their faces to the glass and enjoy watching nemo swim. If Dory is floating upside down or disease ridden, kids don't want to see that and parents don't want to sit and explain why it is that way. I haven't given walmart a dime in 5 years, and I'll continue to not do so there is a walmart 6 miles from my house, I drive past it every time i go to the store. Uneducated people will do what they do until they are educated. It is up to hobbyist like us to educate and share information to help stop animal neglect.

Association of Zoos and Aquariums. They have a certain set of standards that a facility must reach in order to be accredited. Things like providing animal enrichment/mental stimulation, feeding restaurant quality foods to ensure healthy animals, community outreach and education, and other general management practices that exceed professional expectations. The guidelines and AZA standards tend to keep the animals, and guests happy. It's how I would recommend choosing a reliable and environmentally sound aquarium or zoo to visit. I've never been disappointed by an AZA facility.

Wow. I guess that settles the mom's caring argument...

2 of the smaller Aquariums that I really like, the Denver and Seattle, are on the AZA list, as well as the obvious 4 star facilities like Monterey and Scripts in San Diego and the Georgia Aquarium. I won't point out who isn't on the list. Oops...

Archived