Red Sea Coral Pro stats

victoly

Looks like you got a lemon. I'm sure you already do this, but did you give the bucket a good mixing and turning before scooping up some salt to make water? I've always read RSCP salt has super high alk.

WOWZA...I just tested the water I mixed yesterday. It has been setting in barrel for 24hrs so I swished it around a bit. I always go for the higher salinity (1.6lbs-5gallons of water) This mix was way high, the temp water was 80 degrees-salinity 1.030, cal-520,KH-11-12. I guess the bucket I got had all of yalls calcium. I checked my displays salinity and it high as well 1.027 or 36-37, I will have to bring it back down over the next 2wks, don't think it will hurt anything but just incase.

I just tested salinity with JBJ refractometer, and used my API Cal and KH. I tested them yesterday against my RED SEA PRO test kits and they r VERY similar in readings, I feel confident in them. I never use the high$ test kit unless I see something I don't like going on in the tank

Fresh batch mixed yesterday at approximately 1.025

Ca: 420

Kh: ~7.5

Used api test kits, but I compared mine and Jeremy's water yesterday using red sea and api. Comparing results from all the kits, the ca and alk were equal.

Interesting. The alk seems low more often than not. they're advertising 11-12 on the box and only one responder has it in that ball park, but only when mixed 1.030!

its a good salt...IM JEREMY that Chris(BOOGNISH) speaks of. I have never used any other salt and wont ever. I always mix a gallon from a fresh bucket to see what it shows then adjust IF NEEDED. Since 2003-04 this salt for me has proven to be just fine. I can mix another gallon at the correct salinity and give feedback if needed.

I use Salinity salt and have the same problem. I'm on my second jug (225) and I cannot get the Alk to get above 6.5 at 1.026. Given my small weekly water changes and the fact that my dosing pump was clogged my tank was running at 5DKH for several months. This meant bad news for my SPS colonies when I tried to raise it, I lost 75% of my coral. I wish I knew why the Alk was so low as the "lab certified" numbers on the containers are much higher.

-brett

I buy my water from RCA and they utilize RS Pro salts for their premium blend. I also keep a small amount of RS Pro salt on hand to boost their SG as IME RCA mixes to ~ 1.023 SG. After reaching my desired SG of 1.025 these are the numbers I got from my most recent purchase utilizing Refractometer, HM 80 pH meter, RS Pro Foundation element testing equipment.

Salinity-----1025
PH----------8.4
Alkalinity----13 DKH
Calcium-----460 ppm
Magnesium--1300

Have never found salts to be extremely reliable w/ numbers. I buy my water from RCA and was a little concerned when they changed from TM reef salt to RS Pro. But TM was never real stable either. I must say though I did not see any real changes and RS Pro numbers are not always constant either. I have measured Ca as low as 395, Alk as low as 8 dKH, and Mg as low as 1150. I do not do as many water changes as I used to. Did 10% a week on the Nanos previously so I tested all new batches and pre dosed with foundation suppliments as needed prior to using. Now I only do 10% per month on the 75 G and only test post water change and adjust with 2 part and Mg as needed. Keep my Ca and Alk real steady w/ Salifert All in One thru the ATO If one is relying on salt mix and water changes to do most of the heavy lifting then IMO I would pre test all mixed water and dose as needed prior to use. If you have a good dosing system or hand schedule i would rely on weekly testing after water changes to assure all is stable.

Even if you are doing a water change w/ salt with a low ALK reading of say 6.5 dKH and your DT is currently as low as 8 dKH then a 10% water change should only lower your ALK by ~0.15 to 7.85 dKH. Nothing that would affect your coral, and should be easily remedied w/ proper dosing.

so i think i solved what was going on here. bottom line is, don't trust calibrating your refractometer with RODI (like the manufacturer recommends!). I bought 35 ppt reference solution, and with a refractometer calibrated with RODI, i was reading like 33 ppt!

It all made sense too, at 0.5 cups per gallon of mix, i was having to dilute to get to what I thought was 35 ppt, but was in reality much lower, which led to my very low stats. I haven't checked a fresh batch yet to see what alk/mg/ca are, but I bet they are closer to correct.

• Like 1

Bingo. My veegee seawater refractometer literature recommends calibrating with RODI water. That's nonsense. We should calibrate in the range were testing in. Just for funsies I tested some RODI water in mine and 0 tds water measures 1.003 ppm in my refractometer. But I calibrate with the 35 ppt solution as well. Never let me down. I wonder if this stuff has a shelf life like the tds meter solution we discussed recently. My 35 ppt is several years old.