Red Sea Coral Pro stats

victoly

I calibrate with the solution and mix to 35ppt. Still had low calcium. But who knows. I tried that new fluval salt that Aquadome was giving away for awhile and it test at 425 calcium.

Did anyone see that video that redsea put out about how to mix their salt? They said never mix longer than four hours or the calcium will precipitate. Could this cause low calcium? I've always mixed for 24 hours because I'm a sheep and was told to.

In the Red Sea video they say once salt is dissolved the water is ready to use. And should not be mixed more than 4 hours. So I just mixed a batch of fluval salt until all salt was dissolved and which was about 20 min. Calcium was 450! When I mixed over night calcium was 425. I'm gonna test some more.

Again...not use RSCP salt, but when I mix mine 24 hours I get TONS of precipitate, and all of my numbers test about 25% lower than they should. I've since started mixing for only 3-4 hours, and all of the big 3 check out at 100% as advertised at 1.026, and the bucket is clean as a whistle. No precipitate. My sps have been none the wiser

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading about this salt mixing thing and got to thinking. If alk and/or Ca and whatever else starts to precipitate out if it's mixed longer than 4 hours, would it just precipitate out in the tank if put in before 4 hours? How is blowing around in the tank different than blowing around in a trash can?

• Like 1

I don't know what it has to do with the can other than lack of airiated oxygen that helps keep the element stable. "IN 7 YEARS OF REEFING AND USING Red Sea Coral Pro I HAVE ALWAYS 1)PUT WATER IN BARREL 2)PUT CORRECT AMOUNT OF SALT IN BARREL 3)HAND MIXED WATER MAKING LIKE A TORNADO IN THE BARREL TIL THE WATER IS CLEAR, usually 10-15 minutes or less. 4)THEN PUT NEW WATER IN TANK. The one time I tried to mix it with a powerhead in a trash can over night there was this brown SHIAT all over the inside of the barrel and pump. So that's why I DONT do overnight at all. Happy Reefing!!!

• Like 1