Home Brewers?

Do any of you guys or gals dabble in home brewing? I am looking to get into it as a hobby, much like my reef.... but much less expensive!

Maybe we could share recipies, pointers, setups, etc

Looking foward to hearing from you guys.

Yeah I brew with Chris' (Oozarkawaters) dad. The best thing to do to start the hobby is find used equipment on Craigslist or borrow from a friend who currently isn't using theirs. It's much cheaper than buying the equipment brand new.

Next I would suggest you visit the Austin Homebrew store or check out their website. They have tons of recipes for you to look through to find what best fits your taste. When you order a homebrew kit through them, they hook you up with the ingredients and a sheet for brewing instructions. It's pretty simple to follow if you're willing to put in the time and have all the equipment. If you can take care of a reef and have a decent sterile technique, you should do just fine at homebrewing.

There are lots of ppl on here, like Jake for example, who are very experienced in homebrewing and will probably be more than happy to give you advice. It's a fun hobby and even more fun drinking the final product!

Good luck snack.gif

I went into Austin Homebrew to get my CO2 cylinder filled for my calcium reactor and was almost blown away by how much went into the brewing process... they had so many options for everything. I figured my tank keeps me occupied enough so maybe I will start home brewing one day when my tank decides to crash on me or something... or when my APEX decides to take over entirely and just lets me watch from that point on.

-Ty

I have always wanted to brew my own! But am way too lazy to wait for the final product. My buddies do a pretty good amber ale. When the tank looses that "brand new, I have to play with this now" feeling, brewing might be a future hobby.

I'm dabbling in homebrew. My wife bought me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. It's incredibly simple and makes okay beer but it's a fun way to get your feet wet and you can use most of it as you get more sophisticated.

I have always wanted to try homebrew. I helped my parents make homemade wine last year and it ended pretty well. The hardest part was picking the grapes at the vineyard.

As Ty said, I will be a willing test subject if needed

I brew as well. you can hunt craigslist for supplies.

I found my first brew pot at target for $15 and still use it, a lot. you can check some local bakeries and see if they have a food grade bucket to use as a primary ferment. the only thing I had a hard time finding was an inexpensive car boy. if you think this is a hobby you will keep up I would suggest getting a kit from Austin Home Brew, makes life much easier to have all the right equipment from the beginning. happy brewing.

any ARC members interested in doing an ARC brew exchange, I haven't made any in awhile but would be willing to trade some once I do

This is excellent. I will check that site out tonight! I am pretty excited. I may start with the Mr. Beer kit just to see if I like the whole process. I am currently working on a kegerator project so I'd love to fill it with my own brews.

Yep,

I have brewed for several years. Kind of how I got this handle. lol

I make wine, beer, mead. I can help in many regards advice, gear, recipes etc. Just ask and I'll do my best to answer. The best two bits of advice are "keep it clean", and "be patient". The rest is easy.

I prefer strong carbonated meads and a good light lager. smile.png Think of a mead made into champagne on tap. Great for New Years!

Either way, I'm downsizing. I used to brew legal limits each year (200g each). Maybe 10g a year now. Posting some extra gear in the classifieds in a few days (kegs, bottles, carboys, floor corker, etc.)

It can be as complicated or simple as you make it. I like simple and inexpensive solutions, rather than science projects. All the person drinking it cares about is how it tastes. biggrin.png

Grog

I do 10 gallon batch sparge brews in an igloo cooler. smile.png

Exactly. I was thinking of using those igloo coolers. I have a basic design in my head, I can engineer the entire system, simulate heat, liquid flow, etc.. That part is easy. However, I'm no chemist.

I became lazy,

Brew day took too much time. So I began to mash in my grains one day, and just leave it over night. Usually Friday night. Then Sat AM I'd get up and sparge and boil. More manageable to split the process up and I could only notice improvements on the beer.

Hardware, I use the Igloo and a PVC manifold connected to the drain with a ball valve. Could never get the braid hose thing to work properly.

If you want to play with making your own recipes and water chemistry, download BeerSmith. Great little application, and I use it for all of my recipes. Worth the price.

Yep,

I prefer strong carbonated meads and a good light lager.     Think of a mead made into champagne on tap.  Great for New Years! 

Grog

Have you brewed your own mead? We've been brewing beer for a while now, but I've shied away from mead due to the long brew time and my inability to maintain constant temps below 76.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to not respond sooner....

Yes I do brew meads.

If temps worry you, do a search for "Joe's Ancient Orange" and the recipe will turn up. An easy first time mead, but very sweet. Hard to mess that one up. :P

Archived