Filter socks

Hydro

I started out cleaning my filter socks which is nasty work, but it only seemed like a few days before it needed cleaning again. Recently I ordered 10 off of ebay for $5 each, the dirty socks I have been saving and I will either throw them away or I might take a trip to the carwash to clean them (haven't tried that yet). What do you guys do with them? Any tricks? What micron fliter do you guys use?

Really good point about the carwash...I guess that I could dig out my own pressure washer to be on the safe side. I just can't get them clean enough turning them inside out and washing them. A new sock will last me about a week but a cleaned one lasts maybe 3 days.

I use the white felt socks. I don't wash them when they are new and haven't ever noticed that any problems except a ton of microbubbles, that last for about 15 minutes or so.

What micron filter do you guys use?

How often do you change/clean your socks?

I use the smallest I could get (10 micron I think). I never washed them when new. I would change them when the flow thru the sock got too restricted. I washed them in the washer using the recommended amount (per the bleach bottle). I would usually put them thru the rinse cycle twice. If you get the ones without the plastic ring, they are much easier to clean and turn inside out for washing.

Stephen

I use the white felt. I keep a 5g bucket about half full with water in the garage to store used socks in. I bought about 12 of them once for around $5 apiece here at ARC. I run them for about 4 days, remove and place in the bucket. By keeping them wet they tend not to smell or get funky. About once a month I toss them in the washing machine with no soap and no bleach, just hot water. The real trick is to have a lot of them on hand. I can see what a PITA it could be if you only had one.

I use the white felt. I keep a 5g bucket about half full with water in the garage to store used socks in. I bought about 12 of them once for around $5 apiece here at ARC. I run them for about 4 days, remove and place in the bucket. By keeping them wet they tend not to smell or get funky. About once a month I toss them in the washing machine with no soap and no bleach, just hot water. The real trick is to have a lot of them on hand. I can see what a PITA it could be if you only had one.

Ditto, I do the same. No soap or bleach seem necessary, my felt ones come out white as new.