How to Light a 110g Reef mix tank

AquaJohn

I recently got a 110g tank with equipment as payment for work rendered. The good thing is I have always wanted a Saltwater tank. The bad news is I dont know much about it.

It was a new tank and mostly new equipment. I finished plumbing the tank testing for leaks fixing leaks. Added dead sand and rock and am currently waiting for it to cycle.

So now to the light questions :) It came with 2 JBJ K1 metal halide lights with 400 wat 14K bulbs Ill be making a rack to hold the lamps. I asume they are for the day time cycle. What would you recomend for a night ligt and also as a softer <for lack of a better term> to tun on an hour before the MH ligts kick in and to run a while after they shut off ? I was thinking some of the blue LEDs I have seen on Ebay might be a good night light.

Thanks for any help

Well, if you're wanting some light on at night, they do make things called "Moon Lights." Supposedly they help with growth, as they simulate moonlight. :D

You mentioned you wanted a "softer" light to turn on before the MHs come on, and after they come off? Well, you could go with some Actinic T5's. They're a blue bulb that add a nice "neon" coloring to your corals! :)

Hey John,

You went thru the cycle the tank comment very fast and them moved on to lighting. IMO for long term success, the bottom of the food chain needs more attention. It is an inexpensive detail with the exception of TIME. We Americans want a quick fix right away. Another just as important detail is the bio-theme of your tank: a pivotal species, a mixed garden. When you know the theme of your tank then the circulation rate, intensity of lighting and necessary filtration gets answered.

You got a good answer about supplemental lighting.

The sand bed fauna and fauna are critically important for long term success. Allow six months for these populations to stabalize. I saw a two hour presentation by Daniel Knopp on pods and worms. It is quite interesting what lives in the sand beds and refugiums of our systems. Multiple nutriant pathways are the ticket for long term success in this hobby.

Patrick