barrels

razataz

There is a guy that sells them in South Austin and he has a few different sizes and I think that he delivers. Mark @ 470-6576

I think they are $30 for 55 gallon plastic and $25 for 25 gallon barrels, I'm not sure though.

austin home brew typically carries 2 types of barrels (previously had syrups in them)... ones that have a removable lid and ones that don't... they all have 2 2" bung holes, and they're made of pvc so easily drillable... you should call first before driving all the way down and going home empty handed... there's currently a waiting list for the removable lid version (as i'm still on it)...

aquatek carries a new non-removable version for $35...

if AHB doesn't have any available and you want it now and don't want to pony up $35 for the new one, i've got 2 non-removable versions earmarked as rain water barrels you can get from me (my cost of $10ea, but they're clean of any syrup they used to hold), and i'll just get myself back on the list... lmk

My feed store has 55g blue plastic barrels for $5. However, the owner doesn't know what was kept in them. She bought them and didn't think to ask. Grr! I bought one quite a while back (year?) and cut about 1/4 of the top off to use to water livestock (horses and cows). So far, no problems for them but then they wouldn't be as sensitive as fish. The barrel I cut open was totally clean, looked brand new and had no odor. There are no labels on the barrels. It's kinda driving me nuts. Wish I knew what, if anything had been stored in them. Would really like one for fish water, but I'm too nervous to risk it. Think I could use a cheapo goldfish as the 'canary in the mine' to see if the barrels leach anything into the water <poor unloved goldfish>? She had 10 or more barrels last time I thought about looking at them. I have to run by the feed store today anyway, I may just get one. If nothing else it'll make a good water bucket for the stupid bull... the barrels are mostly indestructible! And if he keels over...well... I'm about ready for him to be steaks anyway....

edited to add... I'm using a 35g trash can w/wheels. Works just fine. I have a spare mag 7 pump with a hose attached that I can drop in to mix and pump the water out into my water change buckets. Need a really long hose then I can run it from the muck sink / salt water mixing area to the tank. Which is of course all the way across the house.

Liz

Edited by KeeperOfTheZoo

Are the barrels that you guys are discussing buying just have a hole in the top or does the entire lid come off? The barrels that have removable lids are much better if you are trying to mix water in them. You can cut the top off of a standard barrel with a saw but that makes it ugly but can save you a few $.

The guy that I left a phone number for has both, the price that I listed is for the removable top and they are more expensive. All of his had dr pepper syrup in them.

The ones form Austin Home Brew have 2 holes in the top. I cut a nice hole using my roto-tool and made a pumping mechanism. I pump water into another barrel in my living room and mix another contraprion I made. Once mixed it is pumped into the sump.

Dave-

My feed store has 55g blue plastic barrels for $5. However, the owner doesn't know what was kept in them. She bought them and didn't think to ask. Grr! I bought one quite a while back (year?) and cut about 1/4 of the top off to use to water livestock (horses and cows). So far, no problems for them but then they wouldn't be as sensitive as fish. The barrel I cut open was totally clean, looked brand new and had no odor. There are no labels on the barrels. It's kinda driving me nuts. Wish I knew what, if anything had been stored in them. Would really like one for fish water, but I'm too nervous to risk it. Think I could use a cheapo goldfish as the 'canary in the mine' to see if the barrels leach anything into the water <poor unloved goldfish>? She had 10 or more barrels last time I thought about looking at them. I have to run by the feed store today anyway, I may just get one. If nothing else it'll make a good water bucket for the stupid bull... the barrels are mostly indestructible! And if he keels over...well... I'm about ready for him to be steaks anyway....

edited to add... I'm using a 35g trash can w/wheels. Works just fine. I have a spare mag 7 pump with a hose attached that I can drop in to mix and pump the water out into my water change buckets. Need a really long hose then I can run it from the muck sink / salt water mixing area to the tank. Which is of course all the way across the house.

Liz

Liz, I am interested in two of the 55G containers. Will you be going to the January meeting. I can Paypal you the money, if you need it. I have seen the elements which settle in the bottom of the estuaries and bays near the coral reefs of the world. It will surprise you how sturdy the marine eco-systems are. Too many people trying to scare people with doomsday. Considering all the stuff that I ingested during my hippie days in the 60's, I can testify that the human body is fairly industructable. God did not make any junk. We as human beings sometimes turn his creation into junk.

Anyway, excuse my soapbox. I would like two of the barrels.

Patrick

Wow I just get on Clist.Austin and there is a person I buy all kinds of barrels from for about $20 each up in Leander. She has many types. My personal favorite are the ones where the entire lid screws off. She also has some neat ones that use a cinch strap to hold the lid on, as well as the plain old 2 hole jobs. Search "Rain barrels" and just be done with it.