Lumenarc III's, MINI's, & VHO's

pbnj

I'm working on the lighting plan for my 96x24x24. After consulting with JohnG, I've decided to pass on the combo fixtures and go with individual reflectors, but I can't decide on the MH reflector and VHO bulb combinations.

What do you think? FYI, this will be a mixed reef, but heavy on the SPS:

Option A: 4 x Lumenarc III Reflectors (400W bulbs) + 4 x 48" VHO bulbs

Option B: 4 x Lumenarc III MINI Reflectors (400W bulbs) + 8 x 48" VHO bulbs

you could get it done with 3 luminarc minis as the spread on those is pretty good. I have 3 over my 72" 215 gal . I sometimes just run the outer lamps and the tank is still lit pretty well.It is going to be difficult to squeeze the vho's in there since the minis take up allmost all of the 24" width .I am barely able to squeeze just one strip of actinic t5's across the back. I have them kinda at an angle so they dont interfere with the halides.I would like to swap out the t5's for vho someday cause I have read that vho actinic floureses corals better than t5.If you are wanting to run that much actinic it makes me think you like the blueish look which I prefer myself. With 400w halides just use 20k bulbs and you get that look without the actinic and still have plenty of punch cause they are 400 watts.I only run my halides 5 hrs a day and the actinics for 12 so I can see my tank when I get home

oh ya, I can barely tell the actinics are on when the halides are on. Also I highly recc dimmable ballasts like coralvues. they overdrive or underdrive the bulbs at the turn of a knob. very helpfull when acclimating new corals. Also it allows some fine tuning of the color temp. cranked up (overdriven) 20k bulbs burn less blue. turned down (underdriven) they burn bluer. I like this feature alot .

It is going to be difficult to squeeze the vho's in there since the minis take up allmost all of the 24" width. I am barely able to squeeze just one strip of actinic t5's across the back.

Really?

I thought the Mini's are only 14.5"W x 14.5"L x 6.5"H? How can they take up all of the space on a 24" wide tank? Is it because of the mogul sockets extending out from the reflector?

Thanks for the feedback.

the mogul sockets do stick out quite a bit but I have them mounted sideways, otherwise they would interfere. you are right about the reflectors 14.5", but if you center them up and set them back a little so you can have descent access to get your hands in the ft of the tank it doesnt leave much room for an actinic strip in the back.In hindsight I really wish that I had gone with a 30" wide tank.

I'm going to make two 48" aluminum racks (removable). Also, the size of the front doors on the canopy will allow plenty of access to the tank.

Since I won't need top access, do you think I can fit 4 Mini's and a 4 VHO's (two 48"s in front & back)?

Also I highly recc dimmable ballasts like coralvues. they overdrive or underdrive the bulbs at the turn of a knob. very helpfull when acclimating new corals. Also it allows some fine tuning of the color temp. cranked up (overdriven) 20k bulbs burn less blue. turned down (underdriven) they burn bluer. I like this feature alot.

I was just looking at the Coralvue 400watt Dimmable Electronic Ballast.

It says "Recommended not to use our electronic ballasts with GFCI".......I wonder why?

Well, you could diy Lumenarcs and I made my own hanging pendent.

I used this for the material (makes 2) this pattern (see below)

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

As mentioned, there is just enough room for the Lumenarcs and in mine I have 2x actinics on either side - stuffed in.

post-1071-12603947048621_thumb.jpg

Edited by lemonyx

Well, you could diy Lumenarcs and I made my own hanging pendent.

I used this for the material (makes 2) this pattern (see below)

Nice work and a good idea.....unfortunately, I flunked Arts & Crafts. If I tried this, I'd end up with some very large ashtrays. laugh.gif