Running carbon

AlexKilpatrick

I am getting ready to treat my tank with Flatworm exit, so I bought an inexpensive carbon reactor to help minimize the stress.

I was wondering if anyone here was running carbon as a general practice? If so, how often do you run it? How long can carbon sit stagnant before it is bad?

I run it in my tank always. Helps if you are running a mixed reef. There are varying opinions on how long it stays active. I have heard everything from 2-3 days to a month. I have followed the once a month method. I figure it is not going to hurt anything if it is not active for a week or 2. HTH.

Thanks guys.

The articles at BRS are a good read. I remember the issues now -- mainly that the carbon will built up filtration bacteria such that when you change it out you will make a big hit on the filtration capacity of the tank. I guess if you replace it often enough that is not an issue.

This is the reactor I got: http://www.marinedepot.com/NextReef_MR1_Media_Reactor_Chemical_Reactors-NextReef-NX1111-FIFRISCR-vi.html

Inexpensive, and seems really well made. I hate those thumbscrews though. They tear up my fingers.

As far as changing carbon what I have always done on my tanks in the past running carbon was to have two bags to make up the total volume of carbon you want to run. Change one out in the middle of the month and change the other out at the end of the month. This way there isn't a potential hit on the system from toxins building up and then quickly being reduced again. Your water quality as far as what carbon can do for you will maintain at about the same level. You will only get small swings when the carbon is changed rather than one drastic change every month. Depending on whats in the water it probably may not matter but I always had good luck with doing i that way. I did that for years when I was running my 75g freshwater with a large Oscar and never had any issues.

One thing I hadn't considered was running carbon in bags inside the reactor. That would certainly make cleanup and changing carbon a lot easier.

Mark -- your reactor wouldn't have worked for me anyway. I did look at that same one on MD, but it is too small for my tank.

Edited by AlexKilpatrick

I have run carbon for the past 24 hours. When I went in to check on the tank this evening I thought something funky was up with the lights because the tank was a lot brighter than I am used to. Then I realized it was just the extra clarity of the water because of the carbon.

My ORP has also gone up after running carbon, but I not sure how reliable that is.

Pretty cool.