softball sized bubble and pearl coral colonies

Chrispar

ok lemme rephrase, im taking to to profs and he is fragging, once i watch him, i should be confident enough to do it, and yes i plan on selling some frags of the bubble first then the pearl. and it was kinda to show off too lol :)

got back from profs, shoulda known i wouldnt leave without getting something new lol, the fragging went good, if i had a dremel id be more than ready to give it a shot on my pearl coral. came out with three pieces of bubble coral and as soon as my lights come on tomorrow ill post a pic, they are a lil pissed at the moment but i have faith in my tank and these corals

Hammers and candy canes seem easy enough to cut the exposed hard skeleton parts. I just have issues cutting large fleshy areas, such as the bubble coral, an open brain, or scolly.

Hammers/Candy/Frogspawn are super easy, as they are branching and have lots of dead skeleton to cut. I have accidentally fragged mine many a times by knocking them.

And I agree, I am more hesitant on cutting through live flesh.

BTW, my initial question was just checking to see if I needed to move this thread to the For Sale section :)

What Dremel bit do you use to frag corals?

I use the diamond wheel attachment. Just be sure to clean it well afterward. I also normally treat the cut corals with a quick dip in lugol's and dose a little vitamin C into the tank afterward.

I used a reinforced cut off wheel. I think it was 1.5 or 2" across. I scored the base of the coral and used a screwdriver to split the rest of the way. Then I tear the flesh. I believe that the flesh heals better when torn rather than cut. When working on a round type coral (like bubbles and sclomys) I try to get some of the center/mouth on each frag. Essentially cutting it like a pie.

Glad to see them out and getting happy.

I used a reinforced cut off wheel. I think it was 1.5 or 2" across. I scored the base of the coral and used a screwdriver to split the rest of the way.

That's how I frag my acans, but I use a new, sharp razor blade to cut the flesh along the cracks. Works great!