Port Aransas

doktorstick

Howdy. A few of my friends were talking about taking a day trip down to Port Aransas. While down there, we were going to grab some sand and ocean water (probably off a pier). But, more importantly we want to find some good places where pools of water collect when the tide washes out... to hunt for critters.

Do you have any suggestions on locations in Port A. for such a scavenger hunt?

As far as fishing license yes you do have to have a salt water fishing license even to pick up stuff by hand since that is still considered fishing. You can check out www.twpd.state.tx.us for more info. You can really get into a lot of trouble on accident. If your not sure about something being legal to have my advice is to throw it back. Game wardens can really mess up your world if they want to.

I would seriously reconsider using any water or sand from down there. It is not clean by any means. A guy I follow on RC in CA gets NSW. He found he has to go 50 miles out to get clean enough water. I do know people have collected Peppermint shrimp down there. The hard part is keeping them alive on the way back. A cooler and a battery powered air pump seem to work best.

I got curious on the whole subject and kept reading so here is some more info. It is a violation to take more than 15 live univalve snails during a day which include no more than 2 each of the following snails: lightning whelk, horse conch, Florida fighting conch, pear whelk, banded tulip, or Florida rocksnail.

I think you can actually get in trouble for transporting water from the coast because it could contain hitchhikers. Also there is a permit process to collect sediment materials. It appears as part of an erosion control plan. I'm not sure how you can take sediment without hitchhikers either but that is the way I'm reading it. These rules about water and sediment I have only found on the Texas Administrative Code so it is kind of hard to understand. I'm sure the Texas Parks and Wildlife could answer more questions or at least direct you to the right place to get them answered.

There is just a lot to know about going down and taking stuff from the coast that could get you into trouble if your not aware of the laws. Just FYI.

I got curious on the whole subject and kept reading so here is some more info. It is a violation to take more than 15 live univalve snails during a day which include no more than 2 each of the following snails: lightning whelk, horse conch, Florida fighting conch, pear whelk, banded tulip, or Florida rocksnail.

Most of those you would not want in a reef tank. Welks are bad ... and I think so is the tulip snail. Not sure on the horse conch, but most conchs get way too big for most tanks. Fighting conchs are good guys (have a few in my tank), and stay small.

There is plenty to collect down there and the process has been written several times. A quick search ill provide all the information and arguments you will need.

But I would like to ask, why on earth do you want beach sand?

Beach sand is the same stuff in your sandbox the neighbors cat craps in. Same quartz mineral that HDepot sells. It's not what you want in your tank. Quartz/silica sand does not make good tank sand. It packs to dense, does not provide any buffering benefits of aragonite, and can produce diatom outbreaks. It is a "terrestrial" product, not from the sea. Basically the sand is old shoreline rock that has been refined into sand by the pounding surf, hence why beach sand is different colors around the world.

But I would like to ask, why on earth do you want beach sand?

There's a reason they "comb" beaches.

It's to turn over the sand to get the wet stuff underneath exposed to the sun. That kills all the nasty bacteria that builds up in beach sand. Definitely not reef tank material.