Vivid Aquariums Group Order TAKE 8

mcallahan

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I got one around order 3 and it was one of my favorite pieces. However, the sponge died out from under the polyps and I lost it. From reading, these sponges are very hard to keep. Do you have good luck with other sponge in your tank?

The other thing to keep in mind is that the white part is a parasitic polyp that feeds off the sponge. If the sponge dies, the polyps die. The polyps are non-photosynthetic. I did see them filtering the water, but everything I read says they're dependent on the sponge.

I've been trying too look into the "lightning sponge." I've read both that it is a parasitic zoanthid and a symbiotic gorgonian so I don't think anyone really knows too much as of yet. The guys who were successful on caring for it had a continuous phyto and rotifer drip, much like you would need for a seasquirt/gorgonian tank. The sponge feeds off of the smaller phyto particles and the (gorgonian/zoanthid) feeds off of the rotifers.

Who knows though. I haven't really seen any studies on this and it's suprising as it is such a beautiful species.

I've been trying too look into the "lightning sponge." I've read both that it is a parasitic zoanthid and a symbiotic gorgonian so I don't think anyone really knows too much as of yet. The guys who were successful on caring for it had a continuous phyto and rotifer drip, much like you would need for a seasquirt/gorgonian tank. The sponge feeds off of the smaller phyto particles and the (gorgonian/zoanthid) feeds off of the rotifers.

Who knows though. I haven't really seen any studies on this and it's suprising as it is such a beautiful species.

I do have one in my 24g JBJ...I've had it for about a month or so. It was sold to me as an Australian Spider Sponge. It is doing well so far. Its polyps really pop when I feed frozen rotifers. I have it in the line of power from my nano koralia as it is susceptible to algae growth, which will kill it. So far, so good.happy.gif

Are you asking me something Dave? Did you mean Mama and who has 300 watts?wacko.gif

L-

He's asking you what kinda of lighting you have on your tank.

Robin has 300 W of PC's so Dave is wondering how that references against your lights.

Ok, ok I can't speel, spel, spell! doh.gif

Bur yes LAURA will 300 watts which = 5 watts per gallon be enought light for the sponge? Any one can answer. . .

Dave-

Oh Davey!!doh.gif I thought we were all going to New YAWK with Alex to visit the Museum of Modern Art...wouldn't THAT be hilarious!!!

This is what the sponge is under in my 24g JBJ...

One 65 Watt Dual Actinic (420nm/460nm) and one 65 Watt Dual Daylight (6,700K/10,000K) bulbsmile.gif

I wouldn't worry about the lighting so much, it's actually advised not to put it in direct light.

Mine made it the first 3 mos fine, and now that you mentioned it that's when I started feeding much less phyto-feast and when I turned my skimmer on. May be that I starved it....

A couple of people have been asking about Vivid's Weekly Sales and what's happened is that Vivid isn't doing a weekly sale anymore in favor of focusing their efforts on WYSIWYG.

So check out the WYSIWYG items for some deals there.

Here is the official word re: discounts:

- We'll get 10% off our order EXCEPT WYSIWYG items..just like last time.

- We have to spend at least $500, but we're over that.

The box is mostly likely shipping Tuesday for Wed delivery. I could get it here Tuesday, but Monday is Vivid's busy day so I'd rather wait a day and have them put extra attention to our order.

Ugh...I picked out stuff and then looked at the total. :P

Gotta narrow down my list! Of course...I'll probably end up finding something else I want in the process. :faceless:

At the moment I'm looking at:

Aussie Gold Torch Coral (One Head): $48.99

Vivid Plum Alien Eye Challice: $69.99

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea (WYSIWYG): $39.99

Red Eye Mycedium (WYSIWYG): $49.99

Vivid Blue Tort: $48.99

Blood Diamond Aussie Lord Acan (Three Polyps): $59.99

$286.15 total (after 10% off)...that's not happening. :(

But it looks like I may end up wiggling myself in for $150-200...

Ugh...I picked out stuff and then looked at the total. :doh:

Gotta narrow down my list! Of course...I'll probably end up finding something else I want in the process. :wacko:

At the moment I'm looking at:

Aussie Gold Torch Coral (One Head): $48.99

Vivid Plum Alien Eye Challice: $69.99

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea (WYSIWYG): $39.99

Red Eye Mycedium (WYSIWYG): $49.99

Vivid Blue Tort: $48.99

Blood Diamond Aussie Lord Acan (Three Polyps): $59.99

$286.15 total (after 10% off)...that's not happening. :(

But it looks like I may end up wiggling myself in for $150-200...

The gold torches look awesome, but you might want to wait. They had a 3-head in the WYSIWYG section a few weeks ago for $39. I'm dying to have one myself. Might be worth getting a multiple head one and fragging it between us...

The gold torches look awesome, but you might want to wait. They had a 3-head in the WYSIWYG section a few weeks ago for $39. I'm dying to have one myself. Might be worth getting a multiple head one and fragging it between us...

Hmm...The 2-head one is $95.99...so we'd save $1.98...probably not worth it.

I do think it's one of the ones I'm going to end up dropping...but...a bright color that's not green...so enticing. :wacko:

Alright everyone, the final details are in so here's the re-cap so everyone can start working out payment:

- Order closes Monday, Nov 9th @ 12p

- Payment must be received for me to order your item.

- Shipment will arrive Wednesday, Nov 11th

- We get 10% off non-WYSIWYG items if we spend more than $500. Right now we are over $500 based on verbal commitments.

- We also get free shipping

- Please add $1 to your order for the box fee.

I accept paypal or cash.

- If you want to pay me cash, please PM me to workout a meet up time.

- If you want to paypal me the money, please mark the money as "personal" so to avoid the fees.

- paypal addy: [email protected] (NOTE: I do not watch that email addy so if you email me @ that address, I won't get it. Please PM me if you want to get in touch with me)

K, I'm in for:

Nebula Galaxy Palys (Palythoa sp.) - 2 polyp frag $16.99

African Blue Zoos (Zoanthus sp.) - 8-10 polyps $34.99

Cherry Bomb Zoanthids (Zoanthus sp.) - Frag 8-10 polyps: $28.99

Joker Palys (Palythoa sp.) - 1 polyp frag: $19.99

subtotal non wsiwyg = $100.96

less 10% = 90.86

Zoo Combo Frag (WYSIWYG) - Size 1" (http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=08-0348&SortBy=Price) $24.99

total $115.85

box fee $1

total $116.85