What is a good number of fish tokeep in a 75G tank

julespinkyd

I'm thinking pretty much the same thing as chrisfowler99. I currently have 6 in my 75G and wondered if I could get a couple more.

It also depends on the age of the tank and what kind of corals you are keeping (ie how pristine the water quality needs to stay). I think mine could probably handle a couple more fish because it's been running for almost a decade so the biofilter is very mature, but since I'm just starting to do SPS I'm not going to chance putting in more bioload right now.

My current residents are all pretty small: 2 mature PJ Cards, a firefish, a small/med flame angel, a large Mandarin dragonet, and a Mystery Wrasse who isn't full grown yet. I'd like to add a sandsifter goby to stir up my sand and a Purple Tang for some more color, but especially the tang would probably add a lot of bioload and I don't want my water quality to suffer at all.

It does frustrate me though when people look in my beautiful (IMO) reef tank with all kinds of colorful soft corals blowing in the currents and say "Where are all the fish?" :doh:

I know the rule on freshwater is 1" of fish per gallon. I've never seen comparable for salt, but I do know that it also depends on the fish and how territorial they are. Clowns are generally content to stay in a small area, especially if they have a host. Other fish need more room

Well, thanks to all that have responded. This seems a good starting point to keep many things in mind. After some of the postings, I have decided to add a skimmer to my sump. This makes it the second skimmer on the tank apart from the wetdry. My inquiry on this matter is because I have seen a few tanks about the same size of mine with many corals but not an even balance of fish. I think the fish make the whole thing come to life a bit more. I have also started to position rock and corals in a way to provide additional seclusion spots for the fish. I have seen a lot more of activity since I have done this. I have also increase my water flow from only having a K-4 and a K-3 to and additional two K-1s. At this point I have:

3 chromis (approx. 1 1/2 in)

Mandarin Dragonette

small maroon clown

firefish

blue tang (2 1/2 in)

yellow tang (2 1/2 in)

fire hawkfish

Chalk bass (3 inch)

Large blue linkia

I would like to add a small:

lemon peel

Royal gramma

small maroon clown

Purple firefish

falco hawk

Would this be going extreme on this small tank?

Should I replace some of the less wanted ones with the ones more desired?

I have been thinking a lot on the bioload remark that peeperkeeper posted. By the way, "thanks," with all the enthusiasm that I have been with I had not thought about that. Especially since I have also been adding a few corals here an there. Well any comments are being very welcome since we are all in it for the long run. biggrin.gif

Edited by julespinkyd

Your tank is WAY overstocked.

That blue tang can easily outgrow the tank on its own. Small maroon clowns can easily become 6" maroon clowns. Yellow tangs get rather large themselves.

I'd keep it at a mix of 1 yellow tang to help prevent algae outbreaks (they are good at feeding from it), 2 maroon clowns (if you are trying to make a pair of something), the chalk bass and the hawk fish.

I wouldn't mix firefish as they are jumpers and it could cause problems mixing them. I would keep it at one hawkfish as they can cause problems irritating corals. 1 would be plenty for that tank. Angels in general will nip at corals and can cause problems in a mixed community tank.

I agree with Mike. I think 1 Tang in a 75 and it is now overstocked. They ALL get big and eat and poop a LOT. Plus it is just cruel to the fish. Would you keep a horse in your backyard? It works for a dog but not a horse. Same with fish. You keep a fish that grows as large as a Tang in a small tank and it will get stressed and eventually suffer. If you want more fish get a bigger tank now before they grow. The hardest thing in this hobby is patience. It takes time for the tank to be ready to start stocking. It takes time for corals to grow. It takes a lot of time for fish to reach their full potential. Thing is we are all impatient and want the established tank with beautiful specimens the day after we set it up. I have had to learn to enjoy the process of watching a tank grow. If you rush things you will pay for it in one way or another.

Well, I hope the tank police don't come knocking. I am pretty sure that will be a pretty good fine. doh.gif Thank you all for your input. After careful consideration on this subject, I am going to try and get a bigger tank. Does anyone have a 250 G I can buy. Preferrably not tall.biggrin.gif Just kidding, for now, I think I am going to trade the chromis. Another member threw them in after I purchased his tang. chrisfowler99 has a good point, I think this is good justification for the wife. "Getting fish that she really likes and then telling her that I have to get rid of them because the tank is overstocked," can make an approval that much easier.wink.gif Well thanks to all...