Im pretty sure this is Cyano what do you think?

mhart032

If not Fishy Business, I got mine from River City Aquatis..I believe it is stil $16.99...I just used it last week on my seahorse tank as it was a new set up and had a cyano outbreak...I have used this product at least 5 times, on various tanks, with no ill effects at all...just follow the directions carefully...it's very easy...smile.gif

These algae outbreaks come and go and are pretty natural occurrences; new tanks will go through a cycle of algal blooms. How long has the tank been set up?

So, before you go chemical, try other less toxic means. One way is too add flow. Some others have been mentioned before.

These algae outbreaks come and go and are pretty natural occurrences; new tanks will go through a cycle of algal blooms. How long has the tank been set up?

So, before you go chemical, try other less toxic means. One way is too add flow. Some others have been mentioned before.

This is true as cyano does come and go...I have done evrything to prevent its increase, to no avail...I had decreased my light period, increased flow, fed less, vacuumed as much out as I could...and it still kept creeping back...I am just so OCD about perfection, I had to go chemicalwacko.gif

Matt...if I remember correctly, you have to siphon as much out as you can before treatment...use it first thing in the morning when the lights are on for a full day, remove carbon, leave it alone for 5 days, then do a 25% water change. After the morning of day 1, by day 2 it had diminished...I have not seen any since.smile.gif

I just leave it be. Mine will cover bare rock for about a week and then go away. May come back for a little while about once a month or so. Of all things to stress about in the hobby, I find cyano to be the very least of the problems. If it gets out of hand it is an indication that you are feeding to much, have to large a bioload, or a poor filter setup.

Bruce @ Aquatek talks about chemically nuking his if it doesn't go away in a month. I don't know what he uses, but he trusts the product in his big show tank up front so you might ask.

I have some in my tank right now and its not spreading so I'm not real worried about it. I sipon some out every time I do a water change with puts a dent in it, but it does come back pretty fast.

3 days of darkness always knocks it out for a couple of weeks as well as me cutting back on my feedings. W/out fail every time I feed too much repeatedly or add too much coral food, I start seeing an out break.

+1 Blue Vet- I've personally used the Blue Vet and it worked great. I feed my 29 gallon every other day, but I really notice the slime when someone comes over to look at the tank and they want to see me feed the fish, the star fish, watch the snails buzz around, ect... So I really believe mine is caused when I over feed, ie. get off schedule and show off my pets by giving them more food when they're being watched.

I have had some luck with using a large turkey baster to spray the rocks free of the cyano just before I vacuum the tank. when it's stuck to my substrate I just vacuum the entire clump of sand out because it sticks so bad.

OK this is a topic I am very familiar with. First Cyano is a bacteria not an algae. It is usually an indication of too many nutrients. I have some fish I try to keep fat so they don't nip. Thus I almost always have some cyano somewhere. Flow across the sand bed will help, but not get rid of it. Lights off for a couple days will get rid of it for a bit but it will come back. As for using the chemicals to get rid of it, I say use caution. I know that thousands of people have used them with no ill effects. However, I was the on in a million person who did have a problem. About a year ago it was going strong and I got sick of it so I decided to use the chemicals. I dosed exactly to instructions, in fact I did a little less than it said to. The next morning I could barely see my tank it was so cloudy. I turned my skimmer back on and it started pulling out Kool-Aid red water. I had 25 gallons of SW ready to go and quickly did a water change. I noticed all my Nassarius Snails were upside down on top of the sand and dying. I ended up losing 2 clams, all my Acros, and all my Nassarius snails. Everything else recovered. After long talks with the vet that represented the company whose chemical I used, we came to the conclusion that there was something in my tank that reacted to the chemical and released a toxin into my water. So even when a product says it is reef safe take that with a grain of salt. I am not saying don't use it. Just be informed.

Hrmm well that makes me think. ill have to take caution. i may just do lights out and continue vacuuming it up and do water changes. i noticed this morning that all 3 of my turbos were eatting it off the sand bed, im sure this cant be good.

I just did the 3 days of darkness trick, and it started coming back within hours of turning the lights back on. I re-aimed my powerheads to change the flow patterns, and after a 10% water change and filtering out the storm of settled detritus, it's gone. I'd suggest checking your tank for low flow zones where nutrients can settle before starting chemical warfare.

OK heres an update, i wokeup yesterday morning and looked in the tank and it was gone! no traces of the cyano and i didnt do anything. Is this rare or will it come and go that quickly? i didnt have time to post yesterday..