RO/DI water question

alasg001

I am thinking of setting up a tank at work and was wondering if it is reasonable to use RO water only? Again the water for set up will NOT be RO/DI!!! Will there an advantage or disadvantage with just using RO for top off water later? Is there a real difference with lab grade RO and the ones used in the home? I dont own any test equipment to see what is in the water, or how good the filters are. I will say that the system has 2 huge cannisters that look like the ones scubadivers carry and that it should be pathogen free. Any information will be of help. Thanks

not exactly sure what you are asking but I would say that ro ater is definately better than tap water. the tds coming into my ro is well over 300. Its usually 7 coming out of the ro unit.The di stage takes that 7tds down to 0.If I let the di resin exhaust and show even 1 tds my water tests positive for nitrates.

Honestly, the benefit of the DI stage is pretty comparatively minimal... a slightly higher TDS is unlikely to wreak havok on your tank. While it may be better in the long run to only put the best type of water into your tank, I don't see the harm in sticking to what your wallet can afford.

• 1 month later...

RO is good, RO/DI is better.

I think this is a great answer.

With all the variables associated with starting and running a reef system, using RO and DI is one way to limit the uncertainty involved with the content of the primary media in your tank: water. If the cost of using DI after the RO is a huge factor, my guess is you'll be disillusioned with the hobby in short order because of the overall cost of running a tank.

Russ

After reading this old thread I'd have to wonder if the system being mentioned is even RO. If the tanks are giant, like a scuba diver's, I'd have to think they are looking at "big blue" or 20" sediment filters. Some places with big canisters are using DI resin only but I'd wonder why they would have that set up.

I kind of thought they would have been a sediment filter and possibly a brine tank. I did not get the idea that what was descibed was a ro unit either.

I asked one of the girls there about the filters and she of course had no clue. All she knew was that the water output was pahtogen free for testing. The water filters are for a medical Lab and for its testing equipment in a hospital. The filtration tanks are as tall as the helium tanks you see in florist shops and are simular in size and shape. I know that some of the girls have used the filter to do water changes for bettas they keep. Its a real weird filter system unlike the ro/di systems I see for aquarium hobbyist.

Well if they are that tall, sounds taller than any scuba tanks I've seen, then it is probably a straight DI set up. I have not bought water from RCA in years (since I got my own rig) but they were a straight DI producer. They invested in about 4 of those really large canisters and they were full of nothing but DI resin. The water was forced through the resin and it collected anything that was in the water. It was a nice system as it also wasted no water but man it must be expensive to keep up.

You might also want to check if it is a water softener. A lot of water softeners use a large DI can like that as well.

I purchased this di cartridge from spectrapure called a "max cap". It was like 30 bucks or so. They claimed that it was worth it. I started to try and formulate the # of gallons I get from a standard refillable di cartridge to try and justify the expense. Thinking that hard just gave me a headache so I ordered one so I could try it out for myself. It has been quite awhile since I have showed any tds on my meter, so long that I am starting to wonder if my meter gave out. If my meter isnt broken the max cap whoops *** and is waay worth it