HELP! alage

Christian

I have a ton of hair algae, not like a little on the rocks or on the glass. It's all over the back of the tank covering my corals, rocks, the heater.and it's really annoying.

Anny one have a any thing to get rid of it all.

Edited by christian

well u said it WELL water. I think this may be the culprit. If you did a water change since the heavy rains the aquifer has changed considerably. You probly shld invest in RODI unless you can afford to go to local fish store all the time. Just thinking since its a well you may live in the country

OK in the 55g I have 2 clown fish,1 bangle carnal fish, had 5 turbo's now have 0 they all died, 1 toadstool coral, some GSP, 5 kenya trees coral, 2 blue mushrooms , button polyp an a small rock, 3 feather dusters, 5 hermit crabs and one orange ball tip anemone witch is so cool.

In the 29 I have one snail, 3 hermit crabs, one pink skink clown, one emerald crab,lots of mushrooms, GSP,one green Devil's Hand Leather Coral some of those small feather dusters.

in my 55g the Hp is at 8.2,the nitrate is 0, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, the salt level is at 1.024 and I don't have a phosphates test.

I would be very nervous about the well water. Especially if you are seeing that much die off. Maybe there is some sort of heavy metal in your water? I would definately look at sourcing R/O water and do a complete water change in increments. Doing up to 50% water change in a day is just fine as long as PH and temperature match your current water parameters.

what do you mean by die off?

+1 on the RO/DI unit. You might also want to use some poly filter, which will remove harmful organics.

More frequent RO/DI water changes.

Maybe what he meant by "die off"....is your snails died and if you didn't took them out right away, that could of increase waste in your water. Which means your hair algae is also consuming the nutrients in your water. Some folks run skimmer to remove DOC (dissolved organic compound)--aka--fish poo, die off (snails) and uneaten food.

You mentioned that you had 5 turbo snails that all died. I personally find turbos to be a very hardy species so it points to something being out of whack if all of them are dieing. Since your standard water parameters seem fine I would start thinking that it is something in the well water. Again, i would be looking at swapping out the current water for RO/DI with large very frequent water changes until you have the well water out. Then work out a 10% water change per week or thereabouts using ro/di. I'd also keep your feedings limited for a while to keep nutrients as low as possible. Agressive skimming (adjust your skimmer so it is more "wet") is also a very good idea. You should be getting a cup of skinmate a day or every other day.

so your suggesting I run a skimmer? to remove the hair algae.

I would like to get a fish to eat it or some thing that eats the hair.

Using a skimmer is good when your trying to reduce/pull unwanted organic matter from your system.

A lawnmower blenny would be a good candidate for grazing the algae. Read up on the following:

Lawnmower blenny.

I have tested the well water and it's all good nothing out of the ordinary. I ask around and they all say that well water is good for salt water because you don't have to put any chemicals in the water. I do have a skimmer but it's not in my tank because it makes bubbles where i put it and the bubbles end up in my tank and I don't like the bubbles in my tank so I took the skimmer out.

For the GHA to grow there are two things it needs. Light and Nutrients. While you can reduce your light for a few days as a short term fix it cannot fix the issue in the long term. You need to limit the amount of free nutrients in the tank. I.E. food that is not directly used by coral, desired macro algae or fish. The other main source of nutrients is impure water. RO/DI water is absolutely pure, with impurities measured in 1-5parts per million of any dissolved solids. I am very sure that your well water does not equal this level of purity without going through a filter and would be a great place to look on a first pass for the source of your issue. You also will want to check your feeding regimine and possibly lower it. Also ensure that you have a good population of detrivores to eat up any uneaten food in your tank.

The other point is to add herbavorous critters to reduce it. The most common critters for GHA are the aforementioned snails and lawnmower blennies.