Need to raise salinity -- how fast?

AlexKilpatrick

I just found out my refractometer was way off calibration, so my (36 gal) tank is 1.017. All I have a GSP rock and some fish. The fish are doing fine, which is surprising. All my parameters are great.

How fast can I safely raise the salinity? Any suggestions on technique? I was planning to just do a bunch of successive 3.5 gal water changes, with increased salinity.

Ive raised my salinity from 1.023 up to 1.026 within a few minutes with no ill effects on my fish. Yours is a much bigger gap so im not sure how it will effect your inhabitants. Take it slow to be on the safe side unless someone else with more exp says otherwise.

The last time this happened to me, I took 3 gallons out and added 3 gallons of the correct salinity. I would check the salinity every 24 hrs and made the additional added and subtractions as need. Since you tank is smaller you might start with 1 gallon increments.

You can also use this online calculator:

Salinity adjustments.

Dave-

What kind of fish? if they are hardy fish like clowns or gobys then you can just do it over a day or so. i have had this problem before. i did a full 10% water change with my salinity higher to correct the problem. so it my salinity was 1.017 then i did a 1.30 salinity water change. seem to be ok for me and i had some coral and 2 clowns and the goby and a pistol shrimp and they were all fine.

That is a big jump you need to make I would do it over at least a couple days. I have increased mine by adding a little salt to my ro water for top offs.

+1 on doing it slow. It took me a week but I didn't shock the inhabitants or have a tank crash. . . Not so sure I would add salt to my top off but that's just me.

+1 on doing it slow. It took me a week but I didn't shock the inhabitants or have a tank crash. . . Not so sure I would add salt to my top off but that's just me.

I may not have been real clear, I did not mean add water at 1.026, just small amounts of salt. possibly a table spoon per gallon until sg is raised.